Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal cards

Chris P

I'm fortunate enough to have this trio from my Gt Uncle, but not his SWB.

A few questions! Are all the SWB's named, or numbered, or both? Can anyone tell from this MIC when he may have been discharged from the army? I've always believed he served on past the end of the war, but having read on the main site that the SWB was awarded on discharge, I guess that can't be the case. I know he served several years before the war, but can I find out when he enlisted from his no.? Grateful for any help!

Chris P.

post-6018-1136205080.jpg

Yes he was Discharged & had applied for a Badge the details of which can be accessed by obtaining the SWB Roll page using the Reference 1004 after SWB{ however these are only available @ the NA in person{or via a researcher}

War Badges are all numbered

The date of discharge will be on the War Badge Roll Page,along with much other information{Full Name,Enlistment date,Cause of Discharge{as Code KR's 392 etc/&/or as a Description}Age{sometimes} Regiment or Corps discharged from}

Your information may be correct discharge could have been after November 1918,many Badges were issued in 1919/20.

His enlistment date will be on the SWB Roll,his Service papers may also survive @ the NA.

His number appears to be a Regular Army Number & from pre 1914.

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

Thanks Harry. I guess at some pioint I may have to get someone to do some serious research for me. I have a pile of MIC's to get through!

Chris.P.