Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other ranks autobiography

dunmore44

can anyone recommend any books concerning autobiographys about ordinary soldiers (other ranks) following their story from 1914 - the end of the war. an original BEF soldier would be good

Frank Richards' 'Old soldiers never die' is a good starting point. And Forum member Langleybaston has recently produced an annotated version.

Bernard

can anyone recommend any books concerning autobiographys about ordinary soldiers (other ranks) following their story from 1914 - the end of the war. an original BEF soldier would be good

There are several. " Her Privates We ", " The Middle Parts of Fortune", " With a Machinegun to Cambrai" etc. etc. Go to Amazon ( available from the forum) and look under military history.

There's a Devil in The Drum. I know I keep going on about this book but I think it is great. I have read it three times and think its great. It tells the story of a southern Irish bloke who joins up pre-war with his brother with the Royal Irish Rifles. He serves throughout WWI and rises through the ranks to become an officer. Very well written, gripping from the outset. I would say buy it. Its only cheap too.

I enjoyed Mud and Khaki, although it only covers January - October 1915. It was written by H.S Clapham of the H.A.C. I found it a very readable and interesting account. I have an old copy, but I believe its been reprinted.

Regards,

Spud

'A Privates View of World War 1', Bert Bishop 1st AIF a good read

If you can find them, Norman Gladden's three books on his experiences with the Northumberland Fusiliers on the Western and Italian Fronts are worth reading:

The Somme 1916

Ypres 1917

Across the Piave.

Regards

Gareth

Don't overlook 'Diary of an Old Contemptible' (Memoirs of Private Edward (Paddy) Roe) East Lancashires. Edited by Peter Downham, it is readily available from Pen & Sword.

Jack

Mod,

Could the above be moved to a seperate topic as, I believe, the information required is more likely to be forthcoming in its own right.

Roxy

PS I would have reported this, but it says not to.

I think the best account by a true working class OR man is My Bit, George Ashulst, another Ghosts Have Warm Hands Will R Bird and Journal of Private Fraser, Donald Fraser, last 2 Canadian.

'Skill and Devotion' by P E Butcher is an account of his time as a fitter with 2 Squadron, RFC. Maybe not what you're looking for, but it might interest you. Printed in 1971 by Radio Modeller Book Division, Middlesex, GB. No ISBN as far as I can see.