Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal cards

Chris P

This is my maternal grandad's MIC........ and one of the long lists of medals I'm hoping to one day come across. I've asked my mother over the years, & she's pretty insistent he never received, or never claimed his medals. is there any way of telling from this? Also, assuming that to be the case, I understand replacements are available for next of Kin from the MOD still......What are the qualifications for obtaining a replacement set, & where would I find out? I'd also be grateful if anyone could tell me when he may have enlisted from this. Thanks!

Chris P.

post-6018-1136203185.jpg

The Index Card indicates that the Medals were returned[Rtd] this is usually due to their being undeliverable as they were sent "Registered Post",eg: the Family had moved or there was no one there on numerous occasions to sign for them.

The MOD has now ceased to re~issue WW1 Awards{though as they were apparently Never issued & received you may have a chance,it'll onlycost you a stamp or two}

Thanks Harry........I'm glad that confirms what we thought........at least I have something positive to go on.

When may he have enlisted, & into which bat? can you tell from the number?

Thanks, Chris P.

His number indicates that he enlisted around July 1914 when there was a recruitment drive in the 1st Cambridgeshire Regt.[@ that time there was only the One Battalion]

However as he appears to only have been awarded the BWM & Victory he must have elected {or been unfit/underage} not to go Overseas in the original embarkation on February 14th 1915 or one of the later Drafts of that Year{unless he has another Card>}{I have the Cambridgeshire Regt 1914 ~15 Star Roll & will Check}so would have served with the 2/1st or 3/1st Battalion @ Home until he went O/S

If you know where he was living in Cambridgeshire I can probably let you know which Company he was in initially.

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

Harry.

That's helpful. So I can assume he went to France with the 1 bat in 1915.

Reading on the main site, I see the 2/1, 3/1 & 4/1 remained in Uk throughout the war. They were used as reserves though for 1st bat? (My other grandad was 3/1, I believe....326606). & I know he was in F&F. So he would have been draughted into 1st Cambs on going?

Chris P.

Our posts just crossed. Sorry!

Alfred Stanhope lived at Waterbeach, cambs, my other Gd, Bertram Pollendine lived at Coldhams lane, Cambridge. I have a group photo of 3/1 with Bert in it. I know they new each other at the time, so could well have been in the same company.

Chris.

So I can assume he went to France with the 1 bat in 1915.

Reading on the main site, I see the 2/1, 3/1 & 4/1 remained in Uk throughout the war. They were used as reserves though for 1st bat? (My other grandad was 3/1, I believe....326606). & I know he was in F&F. So he would have been draughted into 1st Cambs on going?

Sorry missed out the NOT in previous post he didnt go over until after 1916,when he would have joined the 1/1st Battalion.Providing they remained with the Regiment & were not posted to another Unit within their Division{as often happened~but would be noted on the MiC}it is to the 1/1st that they would have gone![Your other GF was ultimately in the LC so it is a fair bet that he was wounded or otherwise classified as unfit for Frontline Service & subsequently posted to the Labour Corps on regrading [This could have been prior to or after going to France].

Thanks for that last bit Harry.....

Gf was indeed gassed in 1917, & then transferred to the LC. He always said it was cushier in the Cambs!

Chris P.