Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A couple of queries

Jon Miller

First of all, I'd like to know what Army Preference means, as referred to in the Long, long, trail. I know that when battalions are listed on memorials to the missing, they are in a particular order, and it probably is this AP. But is it just an order of which battalions are considered more prestigious than others, or was there some other reason behind it?

Secondly, if a soldier is described as being part of the Scottish Rifles, I presume he could be a member of any number of Scottish battalions, in much the same way as Fusiliers in other parts of the army. Could someone indicate to me at least some of the battalions which would have come under the banner of Scottish Rifles?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Jon.

Hi Jon ,

Far as I know the only regiment known as the Scottish Rifles was the Cameronians , similar to the Rifle Brigade and KRRC , dark green tunic and black buttons .

Chris

For what my opinions are worth, I agree with Chris. The Cameronians, so-called because of their Covenanter origins and a certain Richard Cameron, were the Scottish Rifles. They disbanded rather than amalgamate. Have a look at http://www.sorbie.net/covenanters.htm, the section on Richard Cameron. Their origins explains why (I think!) they were the only soldiers to go fully armed to church.

Regards

Carninyj

Thanks for your contributions, particularly to Carninyj for that very interesting link - I learnt a whole lot of stuff that was completely new to me.

Jon,

The Army Order of Precedence is infact a list by which you have the senior and junior corps in the Army. The Army as a whole in 1914 runs like this;-

The Cavalry

The Royal Artillery

The Royal Engineers

The Guards

The Infantry of the Line

The Army Service Corps

The Royal Army Medical Corps

The Army Veterinary Corps

The Army Ordnance Corps

Then you have Order of Precedence within the Corps themselves in which you have the senior and junior units i.e. in the 1914 Infantry of the Line the most senior regiment was the Royal Scots with the Rifle Brigade the junior and so on. Obviously you will get debate over seniority, but this is the Order in which you find them.

Graham.

Aren't The Life Guards the premier regiment of the British Army?

Except for The Kings Troop when they have their guns on parade. "Right of the Line"

John

Ciaran & John,

The senior cavalry unit in 1914 was the 1st Life Guards and if I'm right "Kings Troop",R.H.A., I believe was a creation of George VI in the 1930's. 'A' Battery,R.H.A. was the senior R.A. unit in 1914.

Graham.