Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemin Des Dames - May/June 1918

Guest Simon Lazenby

Guest Simon Lazenby

Hi all

I'm trying to research any information on the 2nd Wilts at the end of May 1918 to add to my knowledge of my Grandfathers death at this time. Any information would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

G'Day Simon,

Try this site, it is the Regiment Museum for the Wiltshire Regiment

www.thewardrobe.org.uk

Happy Hunting.

Martyn

Guest Simon Lazenby

Thanks Martyn

Had a look, no entry for that date but some for the days before.

Can anyone suggest where to go from here to try and get any further info'? Or am I reaching the limit of what is available?

thanks again,

Simon

:)

Hello,

Simon I have quite a bit about the Battle of the Chemin des Dames 27th May, but not too much on the 2nd Wiltshire.

I think there is a new book on the Wiltshire out quite soon by Martin McIntyre, who is a member of this forum. (You need to PM mac)

Do you have much information on your relative, a photograph perhaps?

David

Guest Simon Lazenby

Hi David

Have some information that I have posted on the following link;

plus have attached the photo also which is dated 1916 and shows him in KRRC uniform. I'm trying to find out how he went from KRRC, was wounded in 1917, 2nd Western General Hospital Manchester, then to the 2nd Bn Wilts.

Thanks,

Simon

:)

post-9971-1136234265.jpg

From Kenrick, The Wiltshire Regiment. 1963.

Page 137

The 2nd wiltshires now left 21st brigade,with whom they had been since 1914,and joined the 58th brigade in the 19th Division.Here they took over all of the 6th Wiltshires not required to form a training staff for the American Army. Having arrived in their new Division equivalent in strength to one Company , they were now over 600, and 80 more joined the following day. Included in the 6th Battalion's contigent were a smart Corps of drums equipped with french Horns, unique and very good for morale..........

.......the 19th Division moved south by train....on the River Marne near Chalons.....on 27th May a sudden German offensive....on the following morning their brigade moved to BLIGNY, north of EPERNAY.

On the morning of 29th May the 2nd wiltshires, under Major Rapson,were acting as outposts to their Brigade on the high ground north-west of BLIGNY, At the same time their sister Battalion, the 1st Wiltshires, were hard pressed near FAVEROLLES, only five miles away.

Early that afternoon the 2nd Wiltshires moved to the high ground North of BOULEUSE. By nightfall the forward troops had been driven back through them, and the Battalion position had become the front line. They withstood a heavy attack at dawn on the 30th May, but, by the afternoon, both flanks exposed, and a difficult withdrawal under heavy machine-gun fire had to be made.Fighting for the rest of the day, and incurring many casualties, the Battalion was once again in the front line by 5.30 am on the 31st May, this time to the south-west of BLIGNY. At 5pm Major Rapson was ordered to make a counter-attack at once on the high ground noth-west of CHAMBRECY on their left; within two and a half hours it was launched. Major Rapson personally led his men through heavy fire from both flanks, and, with great determination, the objective was reached and consolidated. Casualties were heavy but those of the Germans heavier. Next day the French on their left were ordered to withdraw; sometime later the Wiltshires recieved the same order, and just escaped encirclement.

Hope that helps..........God I hate typing ! argggghh!!

Edited by Owen D

Glasd to help simon.

any idea when he joined 2 Wilts?

Simon

My name is 'Mac' McIntyre refered to above. What I am doing at the moment is I putting together a photograhic history of the Wiltshire Regiment for the Regimental Musum, and as a consequence I don't think it will assist you. The 2nd Wilts were not very well photographed. There was a book produced after the war by one of the officers of the 2nd Bn called Shepherd covering the actions of the Battalion during the war. The book in question is long out of print and somethimes comes up at Auction. The price is normally very high. You will be interested to know that the Curator David Chilton and one of the Volunteers at the Museum have been working for the past year to get it re-printed (And add some images of soldiers). It is nearing completion and when its out I am sure it will assist you in your quest. Keep your eye on the Museum Website, or give David a bell on 01722 419419 and ask when its due out.

Hope that helps a bit, and good hunting

Cheers

MAC

Guest Simon Lazenby
Glasd to help simon.

any idea when he joined 2 Wilts?

Hi Owen

No only know that he was in hospital in UK in Oct 1917, previously KRRC before that and then serving with 2nd Wilts in May 1918.

Simon