Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn East Surrey Regiment Somme November 1916

davidp12

Can anybody assist with any info from private war diaries/letters about the action on 18 and 19 November 1916 on the Somme involving 8Bn East Surrey Regiment around Desire Trench system.

Hi There, :)

Not much more, but a little !!

Attack and capture of Desire trench 18/11, B & D Companies going forward at 6.10am and consolidating line 150 yards beyond objective by 6.50am. Relieved and to Ovilliers 21/11.

Hope this helps !

Cheers

Tim.

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Am interested in events in this area just after the dates quoted in the War Diary. A trench map showing Desire would be of much interest to me and the original postee.

Am interested in events in this area just after the dates quoted in the War Diary. A trench map showing Desire would be of much interest to me and the original postee.

From THIS WEBSITE , an extract from January 1917 showing the requested trenches quite clearly...

Dave.

post-7911-1136161721.jpg

The 4th Canadian Division formed part of II Corps at this time and their War Diaries ( available on-line ) describe this operation. There is an annotated black and white map here , but to make much sense of it one needs to follow the narratives in the Diaries. The 4th Division General Staff diary here gives some stuff, and also the diaries of the brigades directly involved, the 10th Brigade and the 11th Brigade .

One might also look at the diaries of the individual battalions, the 75th, 54th, 87th, 38th, 46th, and 50th Canadian Infantry Battalions. There may be attachments which may be relevant (although I have not gone through them in detail myself).

I hope some of that stuff is of use.

Hi There, :)

Not much more, but a little !!

Attack and capture of Desire trench 18/11, B & D Companies going forward at 6.10am and consolidating line 150 yards beyond objective by 6.50am. Relieved and to Ovilliers 21/11.

Hope this helps !

Cheers

Tim.

The 4th Canadian Division formed part of II Corps at this time and their War Diaries ( available on-line ) describe this operation. There is an annotated black and white map here , but to make much sense of it one needs to follow the narratives in the Diaries. The 4th Division General Staff diary here gives some stuff, and also the diaries of the brigades directly involved, the 10th Brigade and the 11th Brigade .

One might also look at the diaries of the individual battalions, the 75th, 54th, 87th, 38th, 46th, and 50th Canadian Infantry Battalions. There may be attachments which may be relevant (although I have not gone through them in detail myself).

I hope some of that stuff is of use.

Thanks James-a very interesting response. This will indeed help me build up the events of the 18/19th. Thanks again.

You may, of course have this, from the history of the East Surreys

They arrived in Fabeck Trench on the 13th of November for an attack on Desire Trench planned for the 15th. The attack was re-scheduled for the 18th

The assault formation was

First wave was two platoons of B Company with two platoons of D Company stationed in Regina Trench

The remaining platoons of these companies in the "2nd Assempbly Trench

A Company was in Hessian Trench and C Company in Fabeck with Battalion Headquarters in Zollern Trench

The assault was planned for 6.10am on the 18th and an hour before that the leading wave advanced 150 yards and the second wave 50 yards from Regina Trench. the barrage started at 6.10am and the attackers followed closely behind it. Weather conditions were foggy making it difficult to keep together and in the right direction, however, this was achieved.

At 6.40am the trench was captured and 10 minutes later the leading waves were consolidating 150 yards beyond it Every officer in B Company became a casualty and Captain Place took command of the survivors of the assault companies, with 2nd Lt B.C.Carrall being sent foward later to command B Company.

By 8am on the morning of the 19th there was heavy sniping and Lt Col Irwin went foward to examine the situation and inspect the work of consolidation. He was wounded in the leg by a sniper soon after 9am

Captain J.Wightman took command of the battalion.

80 prisoners were captured during the attack and by noon on the 19th a 5 1/2 foot deep trench had been constructed and wired. the survivors were relieved by A Cmpany during the night of the 19th

Hope this helps

Hambo

Thanks Hambo, another very useful contribution. What an amazing site !! I have gained more useful info in 2 days than a year searching "cold". To the other contributors many thanks also.