Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Boiselle

chrisharley9

The 8th Norfolks were based here in Jan 1916. Can any one help me with the exact location of this site as I would like to visit there when I'm at La Boiselle in July.

All The Best

Chris

I can post a couple of trench maps if you want, or you can contact me at home in Wisbech if you want some more help. Email me on louthbardney@yahoo.co.uk

Here is a map from the 10th Essex War Diary January 1916, showing E3 sub-sector, trenches 120 – 126. The mine craters 118 – 121 are what was known as the Glory Hole.

th_628cc_DSCF0010.JPG

Regards

Simon

And another one, a trench map from 7/9/15 laid (roughly) over a modern aerial photo.

Simon

th_9d252_ProjectIGNTM070915.jpg

I can post a couple of trench maps if you want, or you can contact me at home in Wisbech if you want some more help. Email me on louthbardney@yahoo.co.uk

My thanks - I would be grateful if you could post them here so every one can see them

All The Best

Chris

Simon

Many thanks for the maps - I hope to use them in July

All The Best

Chris

Jon

This was taken in 1986 and I obtained it from the Institute Geographic National website , it was not cheap, about £40 I think. You can choose from a range of dates, although I wasn’t able to get one prior to the Y Sap mine being filled in. The photo also extends further north including Ovillers and the line in front of Authuille Wood – let me know if you would like that scanned also.

Regards

Simon

th_20a24_IGN_lge.jpg

Simon.

Many thanks for posting the photo. If you need any photo's of any sites or memorials around the village, let me know and I'll email them to you.

Cheers,

Jon.

Any chance you could post the picture showing the area between the track known as spring gardens and the Poiziere cemetry. I'm particuarly interested in "sickle " trench or fifth street.

Thanks,

G

Jim and Simon,

thanks very much that's just what i needed. tried google earth but it was real grainy. I just visited this exact area last month and have digi photo's . (boywas it cold)

it's interesting to see what looks like trenches visible on the photo in various places. i was trying to locate fifth street from where the OBLI attacked 21 july '16 and where they were attacking.

Does anyone have an arial phot from war time of this area. ( Didn't get time to visit IWM) I found one of the area little to the North ( ration and Sulphur trenches ).

Muchas Gracias chaps,

Gordon