Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regimental numbering

dupplin

I am a bit new to this and have hit an impass between my family's history and the medal index.

My Grandfather, James Alexander Traquair is recorded in the medals index as a member of the Royal Defence Corp, no. 76536.

He had an identification bracelet, showing him as a member of the Kensingtons, regimental no. 47934 (or 47534). But I can find no record of him under that number on the medal's index.

Could anyone explain this?

Thanks for any help

Peter

Your grandfather is listed as

Description Medal card of Traquair, William J A

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Defence Corps 76536 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/20

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Thompson J - Ward H H

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

but there is no sign of a card for either William or James on the online site for the London Rgt. Seems possible that the tag was not within the period covered by the MIC lists, the fact he was in the RDC prehaps suggests the tag was prewar?

If the nane is correct ie William you appear to have 2 on the 1901 census looks like father and son in Wandsworth if its the former maybe a territorial who would have been 46 at the outbreak of war hence service in the defence corps. If its the latter he would have been 15 in 1914 which would have made him "legaly" available to be called up later in the war. But would not explain the 2 numbers you have.Gareth

Peter,

If he has a Medal Index Card, then surely he will appear in the Medal Roll Books for the Royal Defence Corps and the answers you require may possibly be found therein. These books were administered by the London Territorial Force Association and as such are rather better detailed than other Medal Roll Books. When you obtain an MIC you must always get the Medal Roll Sheet from the MRB and if reference is also made to the Silver Wound Badge list, obtain that sheet also as they can all come together to give a broader picture. Have you also looked to see if an Absent Voters List exists for his place of residence?

Graham.

He will only appear on the Medal Index Card with reference to the Kensingtons if her served earned a medal with them, i.e. if he served in a recognised 'theatre of war'.

If he served with the Kensingtons and was transferred to the Royal Defence Corps before becoming eligible for the medals then the MIC won't mention the Kensingtons.

Ken

Peter,

I have checked my Kensingtons database and James Alexander Traquair does not come up at all. I have also tried variations of James Alexander and Traquair but nothing. One possible explanation was that he was posted to the 3/13 based in the UK and therefore would not appear on the medal rolls?

Hope this is useful.

Tom