Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 2nd Battalion HLI in the Great War

Guest kathleen mcau

Guest kathleen mcau

Hi there

I am seeking a book written by Telfer- Smollett , who was the Commander in Chiefof the HLI (Highland Light Infantry ) I received an email from someone in Australia who quoted me a passage from the book giving the whereabouts of the Regiment during January 1918. My Great Uncle Corporal Joseh McNeilly (12252) is listed in the Roll of Honour Appendix of the Book. He died aged 24 towards the end of January 1918 . The contact here in Australia has changed his email address so I can't contact him for a photocopy of the book. It would mean so much to our family to see the book and read of the HLI during the Great War. My Grandfather Peter McNeilly and his son Peter McNeilly also both served with the HLI as well and survived both World Wars.

If anyone knows where I could get copy of this book or even a photocopy I would be most grateful.

Hi Kathleen,

I was the one who gave you that information regarding the 2nd HLI and yes, I do have a copy of Telfer-Smollett's book.

I'm more than happy to share it with you but unfortunately it's in pretty bad condition and I'd rather not be photocopying or scanning it unless there's no other option. If you could give me a day or two, I'll try and locate where you might purchase a copy of your own. Failing that I'll see what I can do with my copy.

If you want to send a PM to me with you're email address we will sort something out.

Tim L.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Kathleen,

The HLI volume 2nd HLI section of the publication Soldiers Died in the Great War lists Cpl. 12252 J McNeilly as being killed in action on Jan 24th, 1918. On page 125 of Telfer-Smollett's history, one paragraph is devoted to the period between Jan 22nd and Feb 3rd, 1918. It states that the 2nd battalion relieved the Hawke battalion in the trenches near Villers Pluich for two days and then when into divisional reserve at Manancourt. 'But the two days passed without incident.....' Page 69 of the HLI Chronicle (the regimental magazine) lists 12252 Private J McNeilly under the heading Killed in Action or Died of Wounds. This list covers from about Dec 23, 1917 to March 15, 1918. This is a short list of only 43 names covering all 14 battalions serving on different fronts. I say short list because some lists have hundreds of names during months of heavy (often usual) fighting. Telfer-Smollett states that 'enemy machine guns were active' during those two days. So, it is possible that your relative was hit by machine gun fire or just as likely artillery fire during a calm (by WW1 standards) period of trench duty. On March 21st all Hell broke loose for the British Army with the great German offensive of that date.

Just by luck, I found that your relative listed as having joined the HLI 'since last issue' of the HLI Chronicle on page 1 of the April 1914 issue. That would probably put his inlistment sometime after Jan 1, 1914. The difference in rank noted is probably because notice of his promotion to corporal reached the regimental HQ after record of his death or something like that.

Brian