Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Lazenby, Wiltshire Regt and KRRC

Guest Simon Lazenby

Guest Simon Lazenby

Hi Everyone,

Hope that you may be able to assist me with some research into my Grandfather, details are as follows;

8-28636 Rfn ER Lazenby - KRRC, enlisted Sheperds Bush, London late 1915.

We know from a postcard that we have that he was wounded late in 1917 and returned to England as the card is postmarked 23 Oct 17 from 2nd Western General Hospital Manchester. Was very interesting to read on your site about the hospital as we had no idea where it was or anything about it.

He is recorded on the CWGC as Pte 27720 Ernest Ransom Lazenby 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt, died 31st May 1918.

I have also been able to find out the following from SDGW;

"Lazenby, Ernest Ransom, born Driffield, Yorkshire, enlisted Sheperds Bush, Middlesex. Place of residence Leatherhead, Surrey, 27720, Private, died of wounds received, France and Flanders, 31/5/18, formerly R/28636, King's Royal Rifles"

Of the many questions that I have I suppose the most pressing are;

1. Is there any way to find which battalion of the KRRC he served with?
  2. Is there any way to find how he was wounded and returned to UK?
  3. How, why was he transferred to Wiltshire regt?

He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Soissons Memorial, Aisne. I guess in the chaos that a soldier that had DoW was easily lost and not buried in a marked grave.

If anyone can help with further information or advice on where I should look further that would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

Ex Signaller

Have you got his medal card(s) from the National Archives web site? They would be my starting point.

Also have a read of in "The Long, Long Trail" link above (just before the "Remembering Today" title) above for more info.

I'm sure there are others here that can help you with better advice than me though, mate. :)

Guest Simon Lazenby

Thanks Max, I'd forgotten that one. I've attached a copy of the medal card if that provides any further information.

regards,

Simon

post-9971-1136088026.jpg

Guest Simon Lazenby

Having spent a few hours reading the site again can I draw any more information from the 8 before my Grandfathers KRRC number?

Is there any information on the KRRC available online?

Thanks,

Simon

:)

Guest Simon Lazenby

Hi

Can anyone assist with a SDGW lookup for me please? I'd just like to confirm that the information that i have is correct so far?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Hi

Can anyone assist with a SDGW lookup for me please? I'd just like to confirm that the information that i have is correct so far?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes the information you have is correct according to the SDGW for 2nd Bn Wilts.

There is no war diary entry for the 31/5/1918 for the 2nd Bn Wilts. However below is the entry for 30/5/1918

"The enemy attacks in the early morning but gained no ground on our front, but our flanks who were heavily engaged, were forced to give ground. "D" coy of the Battalion had by this time (10am) been ordered to move forward and strengthen our right flank. About midday our flanks had been forced back and shortly afterwards enemy machine guns were in action near the aerodrome at GERMIGNY, harassing our rear and enfilading our front line. At 2.5pm the Battalion was ordered to withdraw to the ridge running E of SARCY. This withdrawal was effected in good order under some difficulties owing to hostile MG fire, and it is believed 1 Officer and 16 ORs were cut off. The Battalion now commenced to organise a position of defence on the ground E of SARCY with its left at the Bridgehead E of SARCY. The CHESHIRES were on our Left and the SHROPSHIRES and STAFFS on our Right. The enemy quickly followed up, using smoke screens & pushing forward his MGs and forcing those on our right flank to withdraw to a position in the rear. Our fight flank then became dangerous and we suffered heavy casualties, eventually withdrawing to a position SW of BLIGNY with our Left on the River ARDRE which was fortified by us. 2/Lieuts A THOMAS and W GRINDLEY were Killed. Lieut LG DUDLEY, 2/Lieuts DW DAVIS, W BIDWELL and WT BAKER wounded and Lieut RG DENHAM Missing. At about 9.30pm the Bde Major, 56th Inf Bde ordered the Battn to return to its former position E of SARCY. The Battalion then advanced with a screen of scouts up to the Bridgehead E of SARCY and found the French in position. After remaining for about 3 hours, during which time the position was reconnoitred, a further order arrived from the 56th Bde ordering the Battalion to return to its position SW of BLIGNY. The Battalion returned & settled in the position about 5.30am. The GOC 56th Bde then informed the OC Battalion that the Battalion was in reserve and available for counter-attack measures should it be needed. The Battalion remained in this position until 5pm when the Bde Major brought instructions for it to counter-attack the farm on the river due N of CHAMBRECY and the high ground NW of CHAMBRECY village. The Commdg Officer & Adjutant reconnoitred the position and assembled the Battalion for the attack. The attack was launched at 7.20pm. Very considerable MG fire was met with from each flank, combined with Heavy Artillery fire, but the Battalion , personally led by the Commanding Officer, pressed on to its objective, which it reached in due course, joining up with the French on the left flank. This position was rapidly consolidated under heavy fire & the remnants of the Battalion reorganised. Our casualties were rather heavy, only 5 officers remaining and about 120 men. Capt RS GALLIERS was killed 2/Lieuts AEM WELSFORD, AJ OSBORNE, AC DAVIE and H HILL wounded and 2/Lieut SWH DANN gassed. About 30 - 40 German dead lay on the crest of the hill NW of CHAMBRECY, and quite a few at the farm in the valley. Towards night the French sent up supports for our right flank, which was rather obscure, and later a party of ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS came up and linked up our right thus securing the position. The Battalion remained in this position all night and the position was thoroughly consolidated and strengthened."

Cheers

James