Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Rifle Brigade

davidfegga

Hi All

Does anybody have the war diary for this unit on the above date?

Dave

Dave,

I have the diary for the 2nd covering this period but will not be home until Tuesday or Wednesday when I can look it up for you.

Andy

Dave,

26th September 1916 war diary reads as follows

"Between 7.30 a.m. and 11 a.m. the enemy bombarded our lines with Artillery and Trench Mortars. 5 other ranks were buried in a dug out which was blown in by Minenwerfer and could not be dug out."

27th September

"Enemy were quiet. Our Artillery bombarded the enemy's trenches opposite G.4.27 and G.4.3.

28th September

"Enemy still fairly quiet. The 14th Brigade carried out a raid on our left at night."

29th September

"The Battalion was relieved by 2/R. Berks and moved back into Brigade support taking over support trenches from 1/Royal Irish Rifles. Working party of 1 officer and 140 other ranks."

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Dave,

The five soldiers killed in that dug out were

Rifleman Albert Bullard No 827

Rifleman George Fellows No Z/2207

Rifleman Jack Figgins No Z/2606

Rifleman Walter Humphries No S/15371

Rifleman George Joseph Tyler No S/7520

These were the only casualties of the day.

Andy

here's something strange andy!! i have george fellow's 15 star!

Steve,

strange indeed, did you kow just how he died before???.

Andy

Hi Steve,

The war diary gives the location as La Bassee, would need someone with a trench map of the area to check the map references to give an accurate location.

Will have a little look at his 1914-15 Star Roll to check dates but sounds about right.

Andy

Steve,

Just been through the war diary for the previous month, they were in the Hohenzollern area, right sub-section. They went into the trenches on the 25th, before that they were Hohenzollern, left sub-section.

Andy

I asked for this date because I am researching George Fellows!, he is a distant relative.Thanks for the help with the wa r diary Andy.

Enoch, can I ask how you got the medal?

Thanks

David Fellows

Well now, that is quite something. No problem Dave, always glad to help people out with my pet Regiment and with what knowledge I have.

If you need the details from the war diary for the rest of the month, let me know.

Andy

Andy

I'd be interested in the week leading up to George's death if it's not too much trouble.

Dave

Dave,

17th September 1916.

The Battalion relieved the 1/Royal Irish Rifles in the left sub-section, Hohenzollern section. 2nd Lieut. Graham and 8 other ranks joined for duty.

18th September.

Enemy have been very quiet throughout the day.

19th September.

The Enemy were quiet again today.

20th September.

Enemy still quiet. An officers patrol of 2/Royal Berks Regt. went out from our lines. The enemy fired a red rocket but no action followed.

21st September.

The Battalion was relieved by 2/Royal Berks Regt. and moved back into Brigade Reserve trenches, taking over form the 1/Royal Irish Rifles.

22nd September.

Working parties of 160 men, Coy Commanders conference.

23rd September.

Daily working parties found. Remainder of the Battalion employed making dug outs. Brigade commander visited trenches.

24th September.

Daily working parties found. O.C. Coys visited trenches to be taken over from 2/Royal Berks.

25th September.

The Battalion relieved the 2/Royal Berks in right sub-section, held by the Battalion before. The trenches were much knocked about by shell fire and heavy minenwerfer.

Andy

hello dave ,

i collect medals to men from the sandwell/dudley area, i bought the medal from a dealer 3 or 4 years back

enoch

• 1 month later...

Andy

I don't suppose you have increased your collection of diaries for 9/2/1916

Name: WAITE, ARTHUR EDWIN

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/02/1916

Service No: 5844

Just a thought.