Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC Holder 1917.

Guest A Mafia Man

Guest A Mafia Man

Can anyone help me identify a man in a picture that I have ?

I have a photograph of my grandfather, Cpl Jeremiah Holmes MM of the 6th Bn Royal Berkshire Regt, who was cas'evaced out from Zillebeek in 1917, after being wounded whilst saving the life of one Capt Noel Hudson MC, & ended up being sent back to a military hospital in Tipperary. This shows him sat on the hospital bed with another man sat in a wheelchair, who is, we believe from family anecdote, a man from the East or West Yorkshire Regt.

The story we have is that this man was in an area where a stokes bomb, or similar, went off accidentaly in the vicinity of a large number of their own troops waiting to go forward. This man leapt out from his position and placed something over the bomb and stood on top of it. When it went off, he suffered severe injuries to his feet and legs, but his actions saved the majority of the men.

The man was subsequently awarded the VC & cas'evaced out & ended up in the Military Hospital in Tipperary, where he had his photograph taken with my grandfather.

Is there a record somewhere of the men evacuated out to Tipperary Military Hospital that can be viewed ?

How would I find any further information ? All advice or guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Joe

Sounds a little bit like Sgt. John Carmichael, 9th North Staffs:

On 8 September 1917 near Hill 60, Zwarteleen, Belgium, when excavating a trench, Sergeant Carmichael saw that a grenade had been unearthed and had started to burn. He immediately rushed to the spot shouting to his men to get clear, put his steel helmet over the grenade and then stood on the helmet. The grenade exploded and blew him out of the trench. He could have thrown the bomb out of the trench but realised that by doing so he would have endangered the lives of the men working on top. He was seriously injured.