Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching location

Landsturm

Commander of British 3rd Division, Major-General Sir Hubert Hamilton died on October 14th 1914 in shrapnel wounds while visiting the 8th Brigade`s positions. The place I heard was called Bout Deville. I`m having trouble finding this location. Plus if someone has more information of the incident (or 4th Middlesex in the area), I´d be very happy!

Landsturm,

According to Ypres, The First Battle 1915 by Ian W Beckett (no known relative), he was killed and I quote, page 54:

"Hamilton had been visiting the 2nd Royal Scots and despite warnings had walked down the Richebourg Road, which was being swept by by German shells. A fragment struck him in the head"

Peter

Landsturm , i have the 13th / 14th October the 4th Middlesex advanced towards the village of Croix Barbee - the objective . Nightfall on the 13th spent entrenched in the rear of Croix Barbee . Action continued on the 14th but no advance made by the 4th Middlesex , who suffered serious casualties . Lieut . H.A.Tagg and 2nd Lieut . M.A.P.Shawyer and 6 N.C.O's and men being killed and Lieut .Sneath and Sharp and 38 N.C.O's and men wounded . General H.Hamilton as you said also killed this day . Hope this helps , Steve .

Hello,

Location of BOUT-DEVILL, near Pont du Hem, between Estaires and Veille Chapelle.

(Ordnance Survey 1916)

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1136035807.jpg