Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

35th Company MGC/35 Brigade 12th Division

HarryBettsMCDCM

I would be grateful if any pal has any information regarding any action on 15/16/17th April 1916,particularly the 16th.where the 35th Company The Machine Gun Corps;suffered casualties,including one Allan Claude Bush,late 7th Suffolk Regt,35 Coy;MGC,who was KiA on that day

TYIA HB! ;)

post-2388-1135982544.gif

Could I suggest a glance at the War Diary (WO95/1853)? Bush was the very first OR casualty of the Company. As such, he might even have merited a mention by name! There were no other fatal casualties to the company that day or, in fact, within close proximity.

Excellent{though not for him poor chap!}Many thanks here's hoping!

The 12th Division's History doesn't mention much of April 1916 at all. The last specific mentions are for the German's mines, bombardment and attack at Vermelles and the Hohenzollern Craters on 18th March 1916. 35th Brigade relived 37th Brigade on the 19th March.

The Germans exploded two mines in the Quarries sector on the 24th March 1916, followed by further mines on the 31 March, and 2nd, 8th, 11th, 12th and 23rd April. The British (170th Tunnelling Company RE) exploded mines on the 19th, 26th and 27th March and the 5th, 13th, 20th, 21st and 22nd April.

The History states "Though no action on a big scale ensued, these explosions entailed fighting and consolidation leading to casualties. The greater portion of this front was a continuous line of craters."

The whole period was described as "a period of crater wafare" in which the 12th Division suffered 4,025 casualties (approx. 3,000 between 2nd-19th March) before relief on 26th April 1916.

Nothing all that helpful, I'm afraid.

Steve.

Thanks for looking Steve,one for the War Diary To Do Pile!

Your wish is my command... :D

(Just returning some of the help you give...)

Unfortunately.... :( Note in 35th Brigade War Diary - March, April and May 1916 - MISSING!!! (Exclaimation marks added by me)

Silver lining...

Operational orders for 15th April 1916.

35MGCCoyOpOrder15-4-16Sml.jpg

35MGCCoyOpOrder15-4-16Pt2Sml.jpg

Just guessing (fancy having to make guesses in this game <_< ) but perhaps the switchover didn't go too smoothly as this seems to be night of the 15th/morning of the 16th.

Steve.

My utmost thanks Steve,much appreciated,as you say it looks like poor old Bush stuck his head up above the parapet or something similar,we shall never know now{only the B*****r who took the Diary will!}All the best

Regards Roger.