Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any info on John Wood RHA

KevW

Hi, i have been stuck for ages trying to find any information on my great grandad.

I have very little from the censuses and marriage certificate and can't find a certain birth for him.

I had a picture of him in uniform.

I have found out that it is almost certainly the uniform of the Royal Horse Artillery.

So I checked the MICs and found one that matched.

Can anyone find any extra information, or is anyone able to go to the NA for me to see if it is him, would be a huge breakthrough.

Thanks

Kev.

post-7366-1135978663.jpg

Edited by KevW

Corporal Shoeing Smith 7th Brigade Royal Field Artillery and later transferred to the Labour Corps. He appears to have served in the Royal Fusliers at some stage as well, but I cant make out the writing properly on the scan

Awarded the 1914 Star , with August - November clasp and the rosette to go on the medal ribbon when the medals themselves were not worn.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry.

I think i will really need to get a copy of the attestation papers to find out if its him, if it is and they have a date of birth it could really knock down a big brickwall.

Kev.

what's the x (asterisk) next to 7th brigade and (above cpl) x sgt (?) mean?

missed promotion in the RHA?

Hi,

I understand the x is what is to be put on the medals IE Sgt 7th Bde RHA.

The man is a regular soldier so could well have been away for the census, his date in theatre would suggest he was serving in UK at the time. The photo was taken before the war. Have you tried the National Archives for his service documents.

Hope this helps, Regards charles

Hello,

He has a second MIC card. if you look at the top Right hand corner it says ''see J WOOD'' and then there is his Royal Fusilier service number.

7 Bridgade RHA was made up of I and L Batteries. L Bty being very famous for its stand at Nery in Sept. 1914. I am not sure if the Shoeing Smiths/Farriers were with the battery or with the Brigade HQ/Ammo column.

Funny thing is that 'L' Bty, after Nery, were sent to St. John's Wood, in London, to refit after the action. I wonder if John Wood was with them ? It's still a RHA base, I was there for four years!!!

Cheers,

Stewart

Hi Charles and stewart, thanks, i really hope it is my John Wood, if it is i obviously will be able to find loads out.

I was worried cos he had kids born in 1915 and 1919 but it looks like he could well have been around then.

Im gonna have to try and get to Kew i think.

Kev.

That would be right, as all medal entitlements are shown on the MIC you posted. I expect this card was started under the impression that this was a different soldier, but then the connection was made. Why the MIC wasn't simply discarded is anyone's guess.

Regards

Steve