Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment

Lordberners

My wife's grandfather served with the Middlesex Regiment - something to do with horses we believe. His discharge card, scan of portion attached (I hope), refers to "2nd I.(?) L. Midds." If anybody can decipher and/or expand the abbreviation, we would be most grateful.

post-9945-1135978087.jpg

For Midds read Middx; accepted abbreviation for Middlesex.

With the name "Felberg" could be JL as in Jewish?Legion??

There are no Medal index Cards under this name,does his Discharge sheet show Overseas Service?

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

With the name "Felberg" could be JL as in Jewish?Legion??

There are no Medal index Cards under this name,does his Discharge sheet show Overseas Service?

Many thanks for the suggestion; the ethnic background certainly fits. However, a rapid internet search suggests that the Jewish Legion was mainly associated with the Royal Fusiliers. Did the Middlesex Regiment, which I believe had a very substantial Jewish element, ever organise itself by ethnic identity?

In answer to your query, the Discharge Certificate does show overseas service.

Michael was apparently called up on 18.5.1917. Later in 1917 we know, from a group photograph, that he was stationed in Hastings.

However, a rapid internet search suggests that the Jewish Legion was mainly associated with the Royal Fusiliers. Did the Middlesex Regiment, which I believe had a very substantial Jewish element, ever organise itself by ethnic identity?

In answer to your query, the Discharge Certificate does show overseas service.

There was no "Jewish Battalion" as with the RF,However there was an Islington [service]Battalion[21st] raised & I believe there was a dense Jewish population in that area then,what surprised me most was the abscence of an Index Card in that name{if I read it right}it might help to scan in the line underneath the "2nd J.L.Middx" line,in case that throws up any clues.No doubt the answer will be found here!

what surprised me most was the abscence of an Index Card in that name{if I read it right}

My Grandfather-in-law's service extended to 1920; it is quite likely that his overseas posting took place after the cessation of hostilities and, in consequence, he may not have had a medal entitlement. I believe this could account for the lack of a campaign medal card in the National Archives.

Patrick

Infantry Labour

The Middlesex Regiment had Infantry Labour Coys into which the men who were of "alien" parentage (usually their fathers) were transferred. Those men who were in other regiments earlier on in the war, were initially put into the 30th and 31st Battalions (known as the Kaiser's Own) and then into the Infantry Labour Companies. There have been earlier threads on this same subject therefore it would be worth you doing a Forum search.

Myrtle