Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fascinating French war diary

Matt Dixon

I picked up in France some time ago, some note books which were amongst a box of other stuff from a junk shop. I have finally gone through them and discovered they are in fact the war diary of a chap who served in the 16th RI, and appears to have gone through the Battle of Verdun and survived. They provide a fascinating insight into life in the French army during the War.

Now I have finished reading them, I am contemplating translating them and putting them into Word format. Would there be an interest amongst the Pals for this?

I'm not proposing to translate them just for myself, but if there is enough interest amongst the pals I will do this and anyone who wants a copy can have one gratis.

Cheers.

Would very much appreciate a copy and thank you for offering.

Matt

Very interested in a translation

Thanks

Mark

No problems, I will crack on with it in the new year.

It may take a little while, as it's quite a document, I am currently on parole from finishing tiling the bathroom and I work full time, so bear with me and it will arrive eventually!

Happy New Year to you all!

May we have a copy too please Matt. We'll gladly stand you a curry / drink at our next get-together.

Matt, Thanks for this generous offer. Can I take you up too please.

Tim.

Matt

Please add me to your list for a copy once completed !

Thanks

Peter

Hi Matt

I'm french Canadian, so if in that worthy undertaking you occasionally feel like you need a last resort "second opinion" on some translation issues, I'll be glad to give what limited help I can.

I know this sounds rather "careful", but I don't like to enthusiastically promise more than I can effectively deliver. But if you get "stuck", let me know, and I'll give it a try.

I've read a few french (France's soldiers) war diaries, and these guys really had it hard, even by WWI standards. It's worth reading (and translating).

Pascal

Hi Matt

I'm french Canadian, so if in that worthy undertaking you occasionally feel like you need a last resort "second opinion" on some translation issues, I'll be glad to give what limited help I can.

I know this sounds rather "careful", but I don't like to enthusiastically promise more than I can effectively deliver. But if you get "stuck", let me know, and I'll give it a try.

I've read a few french (France's soldiers) war diaries, and these guys really had it hard, even by WWI standards. It's worth reading (and translating).

Pascal

Your English would put a lot of 'native-speakers' to shame Pascal...in fact it has a decidely British tone to it; which I for one, always enjoy, since even our Canadian English is being dragged down to the US level these days.