Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RASC MT reg706?

Guest dazzyc

Hi all

I'm brand new here and to all this forum malarcky.

I am doing some research on my better halfs great grandfather - we have the National Records information and some information from a few other places, mostly in pieces.

One item was a regiment number of 706 was mentioned - he was in the RASC the information had the following reg: 706 followed by "MT" followed by a "C".

Not sure if this is also relevant but on another document the following set of initials were shown - M.T.A.S.C. (Motorised Transport Auxiliary Steam Company???? - or just Motorised Transport Army Service Corp???).

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

706 Mechanical Transport Company ASC previously (?) 706 Supply Column Serbian Army

War Diaries at the National Archives for both.

Roop

• 2 weeks later...

Roop

Thanks for the welcome and the answer to my question - this would fit with a few things that the other halfs family have been saying.

One of the family members has squirrelled away a serbian medal of some sort - which I am trying to get a look at and find out what it is.

Not mentioned on his record card at the national archives..... do you know if this is a standard thing?

Hi welcome to the forum!!!

706 formed on 5th June 1916 dispanded on the 23rd Nov 1919. Served Salonica-Army Troops Black Sea Troops. MT Supply Column with Serbian Army MT Company. WO 4814-4954 ( I assume that the WO, is something to do with the Records Office at Kew, but I maybe wrong). Have you contacted the RLC Museum, there really helpful!!! :D

Hope this is of some use.

Gordon.

Following Roop’s lead that this about ASC Co. No.706

Col Michael Young’s history of the ASC gives their file no.s at the NA Kew as

WO95/4814 and WO95/4954

He also offers the foll on page 167

‘In addition to extra manpower and mules for the British Army six MT companies (706, 707, 708, 709 (Fords), and 688 and 689 (Albions)) arrived in October 1916, their sole purpose being to support the Serbian Army. Under extremely difficult circumstances, in vile weather and with sickness rife (sandfly fever and dysentery), Lieutenant Colonel L. C. Bearne’s command performed magnificently ……’

Best of luck with your researches

Michael D.R.

Thanks to both Gordon and Michaeldr

Great and very helpful replies - I'll give the Really Large Corp a go but as an ex-sapper I'm more than a little averse to the old Rickshaws Cabs and Taxis.... but any port in a storm.

I shall definatly try and get hold of a copy of Col. Michael Youngs book and see where that leads me.

Once again to one and all thanks very much for your help - it's opened doors for the research I didn't know were there.

:D

Cheers guys

Daz,

You`ll be pleasantly surprised with the museum, they really are helpful. They`ll also be able to get you a copy of the book, as its written by the curator, if I remember correctly.

Good luck,

G.

Colonel Mike Young has retired (he was formerly the editor of the RLC in house journal "Sustainer".)

The staff at the Museum are helpful but you probably can get the book through Amazon etc.

Having said that, I have a copy by my desk so if you want me to do soem digging,. let me know