Gnr/Bdr 290044 Arthur Marr RGA

KONDOA

Hi Roop, :)

Sorry, not recorded on SDGW.

Cheers

Tim.

I'm intrigued by CWGC entry as to burial, as it states:-

Alternative Commemoration, buried in Hull General Cemetery, Screen Wall, Hull Northern Cemetery.

Do you know what this means ?

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=2906936

Cheers

Tim.

Now that is very interesting !!

So you think his grave was possibly lost during the Second World War and so is marked on a wall or monument ? Is it definate that he died back in hull ?

Or could he just be remembered by his family there ?

Cheers

Tim.

Well Tim, that too is possible as he may have a stone in the general cemetery ?? There are others similarly commemorated , just trying to find them.

Roop

HULL NORTHERN CEMETERY

Locality: Yorkshire

Historical Information: Hull, the third largest port in the United Kingdom, was subjected to many heavy air raids throughout the Second World War, although the Humber was strongly defended by heavy anti-aircraft guns, by barrage balloons, and by ships of the home fleet. Hull Northern Cemetery contains 279 Second World War burials, most of them scattered but about 50 of them forming a war plot in Compartments 200,201 and 202. There are also 69 scattered First World War burials. A screen wall in the war graves plot also bears the names of a number of casualties of both wars buried in other Hull cemeteries* where their graves could no longer be maintained, bringing the total number of burials and commemorations of the Second World War to 298, including 2 unidentified sailors of the R.N., and First World War to 114. There are 13 Foreign National war burials here including 2 unidentified German airmen. There are also 4 non-war Service burials here. The screen wall also commemorates 56 servicemen and women whose remains were cremated in the Hull Crematorium. * Hull (Holy Trininty, Hessle Road) Cemetery; Hull General Cemetery; Scylcoates (Sacristy) Cemetery.

This answers it.

Roop

Roop,

On the burial, Hull General Cemetery is a private cemetery that is now unused and is a "Nature Reserve" any stone that is unsafe is laid down. His name is on the screenwall along with the names of people in the other unused or grassed cemeterys. Ill have a root about for any info on him. Finding his original stone could be a rucksack and sleeping bag job!, but Ill get a photo of the wall.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles, :)

Excellent stuff. Sounds like a bit of a labour of love but I would be very interested in any information you could find out.

Cheers

Tim.

Many thanks Charles, needless to say Arthur had slipped through the net with not being on SDGW. He was originally in the 1st Hull HB and then 158th HB in East Africa. It would appear he was repatriated through ill health before being re posted to 24SB and meeting with some incident.

Roop

Hi,

Just went to Northern and got photo of screen wall, looks very nice but difficult to read. The headstones in front have been moved there from Sculcoates Cemetery. Didnt fancy an adventure today so will look in General Cemetery another day. If anyone has his old plot number in the General Cemetery it would help find a stone if there is one. Ill put photo on next post.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles, :)

Very good and interesting photograph. Not often you see something like that in a cemetery !! Thanks for your time and trouble.

I look forward to hearing about your Grand Expedition !!!! :P

Cheers

Tim.

Roop,

I do not have him on my database as wounded prior to that but may have missed him on my search. Ill have another look but doubt it, can you confirm he was from Hull or is this where his fiancee was?

His initial number of 47 would suggest he joined up at the East Hull barracks. If his NOK was elsewhere and he was wounded he may not be recorded in Hull. Saying this to be buried in General Cemetery you bought the plot freehold and at a pretty penny.

Happy New Year Charles

Charles,

Arthur was born in Willesden Middlesex but had been in Hull (Sculcoates) from being a boy. When you say his number indicates joining at East Hull barracks , how do you mean?? Certainly that was thier base but also had recuruits sent from City Hall and Wenlock etc so far as I can tell.

Roop

Edited by KONDOA

Roop,

Captain Williams RNR Commanding Officer of the 1st HHB attested the first 80 specially picked men at the East Hull Barracks. City Hall wasn’t opened for recruiting until the 6th September 1914 this for the formation of the 2nd Hull Battalion. I have no doubt men where sent to the Hull heavy Batteries if they fitted their bill.

Regards Charles