Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Snow covered Britain......

John_Hartley

As tonight's news brings the surprising revelation that, in late December, there is snow in Britain (shock...horror), I offer you the War Diary extract from 2/South Lancashire for 2/3 August 1917

2/8 - “Still raining heavily. Battalion in same position endeavouring to “dig in” – a most difficult and almost impossible task owing to the awful state of ground and the harassing effect of the sustained hostile shelling. All ranks in a deplorable condition being sodden with rain and mud. Considerable difficulty in getting up rations and supplies, the state of the ground and the constant shelling rendered movement both difficult and hazardous. Shortly after midnight, a party of about 20 men were sheltering on the westerly side of the Battalion HQ dug-out, when a shell landed in the middle of them and killed the whole party.”

3/8 - "“Still raining heavily. Battalion still in same position which by this time was damnable. Men in a deplorable condition, many of them up to their knees and waists in water and mud and quite unable to move about. Intermittent shelling by enemy. Casualties killed – Lt Castle and 14 Other Ranks”.

Stockport lost a man each day.

Sorta puts it in perspective. Innit.

J

Hi John, :)

When I read things such as this I can only wonder at the strength of the human spirit !!!!

It certainly makes me feel like a feeble human being when having a day out with the family today, I didn't stop moaning about the B***dy cold weather !!!!!!!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

Sorta puts it in perspective. Innit.

J

John

Certainly does mate.

Aurel

Smashing photo - thanks

Glyn

Hi Aurel, :)

That really is a lovely photo !!

Which cemetery is it please ?

Cheers

Tim.

Ramparts Cemetery in Ieper I think.

Aurel - great photo......once more.

Alan

It certainly makes me feel like a feeble human being when having a day out with the family today, I didn't stop moaning about the B***dy cold weather !!!!!!!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

We are forecasted to have 43 degrees C tomorrow.

Beautiful photo, Aurel

Cheers

Kim

Hi Aurel, :)

These really are excellent photo's. Very many thanks for posting them !!

Cheers

Tim.