Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig's 3d maps

Howard

Does anyone know about the 3D maps made from paper map layers cut around the contours of topo maps? They are known as the Haig maps but is this the case?

The IWM have some, what they did have is now at Sandhurst being conserved but I managed to get a photo of two. They are quite small, less than 2 foot by 3. This one is of the area around Polygon Wood.

To me they give a false impression of the ground.

Howard

post-991-1135892710.jpg

• 6 months later...

I would agree, and to me it would seem that they are far more complicated to make then the value they would add. Also, even though trench warfare is static and movement would invalidate the map for all that work.

Perhaps these were made after the war as an historical record.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi

To meet the demand the WO undertook the production in quantity of plaster models of 1/20,000 sheets. These models were made with the vertical scale to the horizontal as 4 to 1. The map, printed on special extensible paper, was pasted in position on the plaster. Models of this nature were issued to the higher commands, and proved very useful for the study of the ground.

The plaster models were reproduced from an original, the basis of which was a series of cardboard layers of suitable thickness, each cut to the shape of a contour.

This basis was covered with wax, moulded to shape, and a plaster matrix was taken from it.

The Ordnance Survey organised the supply of these cardboard models, and produced one thousand of them. Thay were issued in sets, to cover the front of the formation, down to infantry Brigade Commanders.