Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Douglas Munro King Baird

Guest bairdy

hello to you all, this is my first post.

I am trying to find out a little more about my grandfathers life during and after the Great War.

I have been able to find out a little about him but details are rather sketchy as he had only 1 child,(my father) who, as far as I can tell, he had no contact with during my fathers adult life, Indeed my mother never met him, even when they got married.

My Grandfather was Douglas Munro King Baird,( not sure weather any of the names were hyphenated) who served in the Royal Field Artillery during the 1914-1918 war where he was awarded the MC on 18 JULY 1917 and subsequently a second MC (bar) on 26 JULY 1918

"for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. he has performed consistent good work acting as observation officer. often under intense enemy barrage he continued to observe his battery fire, and thus rendered service of the utmost value".

I was able to get this informationfrom a family member who obtained it from an unknown source.

I know also that he was he was gazetted as lieutenant 1/10/1917 & then captain 15/4/1918.

I realise that this is more than a lot of people know about their relatives but I am sure there must be more information out there somewhere, all I need is to be pointed in the right direction as to where to look.

Many thanks in advance to you all.

regards

Alan Baird

Alan,

Have a look at the parent site - Long, Long Trail. It is linked at the top of the webpage.

It gives you what you need to know about researching a serviceman.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
Alan,

Have a look at the parent site - Long, Long Trail. It is linked at the top of the webpage.

It gives you what you need to know about researching a serviceman.

Ian

Hello Ian, sorry for the delay in replying,what with Christmas and all that!!

I have managed to obtain from the national archives my first copy of a war record for Douglas.

I am pretty sure it is him as the forenames are rather unique.

I can make out a few details i.e. date of service, served if France etc but I am struggling to make sense of the other details. As I said in my first post I am very new to this and I was wondering if I sent the record to you you could have a look at it and maybe explain the other details.

regards

Alan Baird