Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch

Dave Phillips

Hi

On a small memorial on the wall of the Lichfield Brewery, Staffordshire there is a amongst others a casualty:

Pte. Edward Smith 3rd Black Watch

I can find no Edward Smith who was a casualty with the 3rd Reserve Battalion, but there is an individual who died with the 1st Battalion with a number '3/1893'.

Would the '3' refer to him originally belonging to the Reserve Battalion?

I cannot work out his link with Lichfield as he was born in Glasgow and enlisted in Dundee where his mother lived. Maybe he only worked at the brewery for short while?

Any help gratefully recieved

Dave

Hello,

Yes, the 3/ prefix does indicate that he served with the 3rd Battalion. do you have any details regarding the day he died ? If not, I have the Great War history for the Black Watch, if he was killed in action, I can look up the details and let you know what the 1st Bn was up to.

Regards,

Stewart

In the West Riding Regiment this 3/ prefix is quite common, I think they used it when they sent a man to a front line battalion just in case a 3rd Battalion man might have the same number as a 1st or 2nd Battalion man, so 3/ would make his number unique. Of course that is just my opinion and could be wrong.

There is a man on the Holmfirth Memorial called William Thomas Sydney Smith, born at Chelsea and enlisted at Fulham. The only local connection I can find is that he died on the same day in the same battalion as two Holmfirth men. There is no mention of him at all in the local newspaper, but his name is there for all to see on the memorial, and there will not be two men with a name like that.

Tony.

Dave,

Had a quick trawl through CWGC - might this be your man?

Another comment: often the Scottish regiments used the prefix 'S' (such as below) which denotes a 'service' recruit - ie. for the duration only and not a regular. Might be mistranscribed as a '3' ?

Looking at the date and location for the below serviceman I would hazard a guess that he was on occupation duty.

Ian

SMITH, EDWARD THOMAS

Initials: E T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 31/05/1919

Service No: S/19499

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. F. Smith, of Leicester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 6.

Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

Hi

the 3rd Bn never went overseas but supplied countless men to other Battalions to make up losses so they could turn up with a 3 prefix anywhere.

The E. Smith KIA 1st Bn. This is the 1st Bn War Diary for the day -

120th. Regiment (French) advance through our lines for attack but under heavy shrapnel attack dies away. Germans attack along MENIN road about 1500 yards to our right and carry barricade held by Brigade on our right. Under orders from Brigadier Gen. FITZCLARENCE the 1st.Bde. Reserve ­ A, B & C Coys. of the Battn. under Capt. AMERY make counter attack, which though only 120 men and enfiladed by two machine guns, successfully stops German advance. Capt. FORTUNE's action on left was especially commended by Brigadier. These companies holding the line on the right of Scots Guards until relieved from 3rd.Bde. at dusk.

(See Appendix A.)

Casualties.

Officers - Died of Wounds Lieut. R.P.D. NOLAN (3rd.Bn.)

Wounded Capt. H.F.S. AMERY

2nd.Lt. J.L. RENNIE.

Rank & File ­ Killed 5. Wounded 34. Missing 21.

As to which man it is ? Well its a bit of a lottery I am afraid! :(

Best of luck

Fred

Hi

Thanks Stewart for the info. and offer of the diary extract: as you an see Fred has supplied it.

Thanks Tony, I thought I had read something similar about prefix numbers.

Thanks Ian, it could so easilly be a typo., but the memorial does clearly show 3rd Btn. Thankyou for looking through the GWGC (I had done something similar there are so many E Smiths! It could well be my man.

Thanks for the diary extract Fred

:huh:

Dave,

Yep, I also now see that is how it comes up on the National Archives MIC, under Smith, E. Royal Highlanders.

No more ideas with me then, so good hunting.

Ian

Hi Dave

I thought you might just like the mentioned Appendix "A" :D so here it is:-

APPENDIX. "A"

The counter attack was made by throwing forward each Coy., separately, as quickly as possible. Captain FORTUNE with 2 Platoons went forward just at 1.p.m. and got within 200 yards of the main road, by which the German main attack advanced. Captain AMERY with B.& C. Coys. joined him in 10 minutes time, extending line to the left, but lost severely when going through a gap in the hedge on which a German Machine Gun was trained. Lieut.NOLAN also led his Platoon on the left of C.Coy. very boldly forward.

The German Machine Gun caught this last Platoon, mortally wounding Lieut. NOLAN and causing about 15 casualties, but the German forward movement stopped. Captain FORTUNE succeeded in prolonging the line facing S.E. on the right of the Scots Guards. Captain AMERY was badly hit in three places and 2/Lieut. RENNIE was severely wounded, but the rest of "B" & "C" Coys. rejoined the half of "A" Coy. in the gap near the main MENIN Road.

No.313 Cpl. CULPIN C.Coy. was especially prominent for good leadership. No.1008 Cpl. REDPATH C.Coy. took forward those men of B.Coy. who were left without a leader on the extreme left, after the fall of Lieut. NOLAN.

The whole German attack fell back except for snipers who still occupied some houses in VELDHOEK and some advanced pits dug by the Zouaves two days previously.

After dark "A", "B" & "C " Coys. under Captain FORTUNE (about 75 men in all) were withdrawn, and a new line was taken up somewhat in rear of the original one.

Have a good new year!

Im off now to get my kilt on and get ready for the major assault on my liver :rolleyes:

Fred

SNWM confirms

Details

Surname SMITH

Firstname Edward

Service Number 3/1893

Date Death 02/11/1914

Decoration

Place of birth Glasgow

Other 1st Bn.

SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm