Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wanted: a good title for background information

Jerrymurland

I need a good title to give me background infotmation on how and where RFC pilots were trained, possibly unit locations etc, types of aircraft used for training, organisation of RFC and later RAF units etc. Any of you ~air aces out there got any suggestions, preferably books in print or reasonably available.

Jerry

I need a good title to give me background infotmation on how and where RFC pilots were trained, possibly unit locations etc, types of aircraft used for training, organisation of RFC and later RAF units etc. Jerry

Jerry

You could try Peter Liddle's book The Airman's War 1914-18, there is a chapter on Home Establishment and flying training.

For unit locations "Airmen died in the Great War 1914-18 Roll of Honour" (ROH) by Chris Hobson has fairly comprehensive lists.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this book today - looks good and will enjoy reading it. The trouble is my book collection is getting larger every day!!

Jerry

Guest PteBurdenR

If your still in need of information, off the top of my head, the main aircraft used for basic training for all Pilots was the Maurice Farman Shorthorn, (Old Rumpity as it was called by the pilots) which was flown at a "Flying Training School" (a good example was one at Settling in Norfolk, No.17 Flying Training School I think it was) and that after you completed they were sent to a School of Fighting (such as No. 4 School of Fighting, Frensham in Lincolnshire) where you were taught combat techniques in Scouts or 2 Seaters (I'm not sure how the selected who for what, probably instructors reccomendations). Flight training times could be as little as 15 hours in total in the worse times, such as Early 1916 and "Bloody April" of 1917.

It might be worth looking at John James, The Paladins: A Social History of the RAF up to the Outbreak of World War II (London and Sydney: Macdonald, 1990). Although the focus is on the RAF, there is a fair bit of stuff on the RFC days, pre-war as well.