Remembered Today:

Roll of Honour St Francis Xavier Church Liverpool

CarylW

St Francis Xavier's Roll of honour, both wars

StFrancisx1.jpg

StFrancisx2.jpg

This is from the book 'St Francis Xavier's church Centenary 1848-1948

I don't know how complete that is because also in the book is the following:

'One of the remarkable things of this war in so far as it affects the parish, was a large number of volunteers for the Services'

The Liverpool Daily Post also printed the following comment in December 1914

'In the current number of the Xaverian (parish Magazine) appears a list of the members of the parish of St Francis Xavier's church who are now serving in His Majesty's services of all arms. The list comprises about 750 names, which must be something of a record for any one particular parish. As might be expected the great majority of names are distinctly Irish, and it is not surprising that the unit with the biggest Xaverian membership is the 8th (Irish) Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment, which accounts for about 150 of the total. All arms of the Services - naval as well as military, including even the flying corps - are, however, represented in the roll of honour'

Caryl

Hi Caryl,

I've something relating to T.Leach that maybe of some interest to you. Drop me your e-mail address and i'll send you a copy.

Interesting roll of honour. I recognise some of the names through researching the Liverpool Pals.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

This is what I already have on T. H LEACH, plus a photo, very kindly passed onto me by Joe (Promenade)

Thomas Herbert Leach was born in Rock Ferry in 1890/1 the fourth son (two of his brothers were John Arthur Leach and GM Leach) of John and Sarah Leach of 32 Mersey Lane South, Rock Ferry. He enlisted as Private No 16726 in the 18th Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regt in the first week of September 1914 and was drafted to France with his Battalion on 7 November 1915. It is known that he was a member of Tranmere Wesley Cricket Club. He was severely wounded in the head by shrapnel and died of his wounds on 18/2/18 and is buried in St Sever Cemetery, Rouen Plot A, Row 17, Grave 25.

Caryl