Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Man not on CWGC?

chris basey

Would appreciate suggestions as to why I am unable to find this man on CWGC or SDGW.

He died 1/9/1918 and was buried 'with full military honours' at St Nicholas churchyard Buckenham (Norfolk) on 12/9/1918. The grave has a private memorial stone.

Please see MIC attached

post-702-1135853863.jpg

He is not in the CWGC list nor does he appear in the GRO Death Index of Officers for 1918. However, I am not sure that the GRO list includes army/RAF deaths in the UK. It does include them for the navy.

How do you know his date of death? Does the date of 06.03.25 refer to the word 'deceased' (if so the death is outside the qualifying period) or to the reference number?

It could be that he died after leaving service of non-war related causes.

Terry

Date of death is on grave stone which is confirmed by the funeral date reported in the Deanery Magazine of October 1918. Maybe the 1923 date refers to despatch of medals as it is bracketed together.

His record is in WO339 so shall have a look when next at NA.

Thanks for your trouble - once again!

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris I think this may be your man who retired of ill health as gazetted 21/2/1918

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...=&selHonorType=

He is on the general list of officers. As Terry has stated if he left his regiment and died of non war related causes he would not be included in their lists. Hope this helps GAreth

Just reread the LG and as he contracted the illness during his time in the forces, prehaps he should have been on the CWGC lists, one for Terry I think. Gareth

Gareth

You would need to know his cause of death before drawing that conclusion.

We do not know that his death was caused by the same ill-health that caused him to resign. It may have been a subsequent illness (flu epidemic?) or he may have been run over etc.

Gareth

Very grateful for that. The wording in LG is specific and, as you say, it looks like one for Terry.

Terry

You got there before me - I take your point and shall be checking local papers next week and his records in due course. Will keep you posted.

Chris

Your man’s death is registered in the civil records for July, August & September 1918:

Victor W Harrison, age 23, died at Loddon, Vol: 4b, Page: 220

You can order his death certificate on-line for £7.00 from: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp

Regards

Mark

Thank you very much, Mark.

I think we both arrived at the same place at about the same time!

Regards

Chris

This is the reason why Captain Harrison's death does not appear on CWGC:

"EASTERN DAILY PRESS TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 3rd 1918

BOATING FATALITY ON THE YARE – OFFICER DROWNS NEAR BUCKENHAM FERRY.

A distressing boating accident took place on Sunday evening on the River Yare a short distance from Buckenham Ferry.

A dinghy which was being sailed by Capt V.W.Harrison, late of the R.F.C., and Mr Tom Ketley, age 16, son of Mr Tom Ketley of Norwich, was capsized by a gust of wind and the occupants thrown into the water. They retained a hold on the craft for a brief while and then decided to swim for the bank. Both struck out and, as the lad reached the shore, he turned to look for Capt Harrison and noticed him fighting against the tide.

As soon as he was out of the water the lad, though not physically strong, stripped with a view to going to the rescue of the Captain but the latter suddenly disappeared from sight.

Ketley then sprinted a distance of about half a mile to the Ferry Inn for assistance. All efforts, however, to find the body failed. The private address of Capt Harrison was 7, The Esplanade, Worthing and he had lately been staying with Mr & Mrs Ketley."

Chris

Well done. A classic case of non-qualification - post discharge death not due to war causes.

The interesting thing coming from your latest post is that I know a Ketley family from Worthing!!!!!