Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper James Tarvit, Royal Highlanders & RE

Bob Doneley

I have just purchased a 1914-15 Trio named to 2544 Pte J. Tarvit, Royal Highlanders. The information I have researched so far is that he came from Cellardyke, Fife, on the east coast of Scotland. He entered France on 3/5/15, and was subsequently transferred to the Railway Operating Division, RE (new regimental no. 198505). He died in England on 20/6/17, aged 27, and is buried in the Shornecliffe Military Cemetery.

I was wondering if anyone can help with any additional information eg date of transfer to the RE; likely actions to have been involved in with the Royal Highlanders;cause of death, etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Bob

Information on the Royal Engineers is sketchy at best.

In researchimng my great-uncle I have looked at a fair few sources for numbers around 200000 and SUSPECT that the numbers around that point were allocated around about the latter half of 1916.

RE numbers were allocated in both batches and sequential order and most evidence I have points to that time period, with late 1916 to early 1917 for the 230000s which I am interested in.

His Royal Highlanders number looks like a Territorial one. If he didn't get a 6-digit number that would suggest a pre-1917 transfer too.

I don't know an exact date for the Territorial Royal Highlanders going overseas but 51st Division seems to have gone overseas at about the right time (early May 1915) and contained the 1/6th and 1/7th Battalions.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Surname TARVIT

Firstname James

Service Number 198505

Date Death 20/06/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Kilrenny Fife

Other R.O.D.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL ENGINEERS

Rank Spr

Theatre of death Home.