Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer between battalions-S.Staffords

Doug Lewis

I have a M.I.C to a S. Staffs soldier which states he entered (2b) Balkans on 21/7/15,this would indicate he was with the 7th Btn,they being the only S.Staffords to serve in Balkans (Gallipoli).

The 11th Northern Div completed their concentration by 28/7/15 (info from the Long Long Trail) so that concurs with previous information.

My question centres on these queries.

1. My soldier was killed in action 29/7/16 while serving with the 2nd Btn. The 11th Division didn't land back in France until July 1916,the timescale is to tight, so he must have already transferred. I believed that a man wounded in the Gallipoli theatre would have been taken to a hospital in Greece or even Egypt is this correct or would a man be returned to the U.K and from there he could have joined the 2nd Btn.

2. Or could he have been transferred from Egypt where the 11th Div had retired in Dec 1915,this seems the likely answer.

3. Could it just be an error on the M.IC.?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug

Asked a similar question myself a while ago. My man of the 7th, entered on 6/11/1915 just before the evacuation. He was later killed (nov 1916) on the Somme while serving with the 2nd Worcesters. His MIC didn't mention that in between that, he had been in the 1st Bn South Staffs for a time.

He kept his 7th Staffs regimental number with them. I believe he may have been ill/wounded while in the Balkans, so don't suppose he would have joined the 1st Bn in France much before March 1916, allowing for type of illness, recovery, transport etc. Of course it may have been later.

Dave

Bringing it to the top for one more try.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

With the 6th Lincs, some lads did make it all the way back to the UK due to sickness/wounds from Gallipoli(seems like the more seriously sick), and of these at least some appear to have been transferred to other battalions on recovery, but I can't be sure when.

Most of the lightly wounded, appear to have gone back to their original battalion (found references to some of them in hospital in Egypt), and they certainly went back to the 6th.

I have no idea about transfers taking place after the withdrawal, but would assume there would be more men arriving than leaving given the relative strength at the time.

My g-g-uncle's MIC entry date is wrong by a month, it's been corrected on the roll. Not sure how widespread these are.

Just some thoughts

Jim

David and Jim

Thank you both for your replys

Regards Doug.