Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Selling the Family Silver

ianw

Sad to see on ebay, the sale of a plaque and pair to a 10th Queens man killed in March 1918. ( Item 2189255527) The seller cheerfully tells us that the man was his mother's brother.

I suppose one is tempted to suppose that he needs the money - perhaps £200 or so ? - but a quick nosey in his ebay feedback shows him paying £100+ for a ghastly ceramic "limited collector's edition" dragon. I know we should say "each to his own" but words fail me. Am I being oversensitive ? Should we blame this on high medal prices ?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

Have seen it already. As someone who would dearly love to get his hands on his great-uncles medals it makes me :angry:

But then if it wasn't for people like him then some of us happy to provide such items with the home, research and TLC they deserve would not get the chance.

Ian B

Ian,

Yes, take your point. I have my Great Uncles Victory Medal only ( Killed 1916 Ypres Rifle Brigade/ on Menin Gate) and would dearly love the other two. Split within the family years ago , I think.

It does make one wonder WHY sell a group like this, that you will NEVER (likely) be able to get back.

My own family 'group' to my uncle is long lost, probably in some collectors drawer? (He was an R.Fus. Missing on the Somme). What I wouldn't give to go back in time an rescue it, the moment someone (in my own family) must have put it out for sale!

My great grandmother (I am told) spent many years waiting in vain for her son to walk through the door, even up until her death well after the war.

As the generations pass, the connection weakens....and enter ebay!

The group shown below is one such group, that I happily purchased direct from the family that could NOT care less about their relative. I asked them several times if they were sure they wanted to sell...And their answer was quite clear: "We have no idea who he is, and would rather have the money, thank you very much."

post-8-1061861922.jpg

Ian - No idea about the plaque either !

I suppose the flip side of this coin is that ebay, speedbid etc may also be reuniting families with medals. Of course, I am always on the lookout for my family names.

I also have 2 plaques to men named Rutterford and the name is still common in the Lakenheath area where the men came from. I am tempted to try to get these plaques back to the family - but wonder if there would be any interest if I should bash off a few letters ?

I am not a medal collector but I would love to have my relitives medals and would never myself sell the family silver as Ian puts it, if I had any. But then in some case its best the family who are not interested in such things to sell them to people who are.

Annette