Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

despatches/honours

alan jones

Hello ,

I have been looking at 48 Brigade RGA war diary and have found references to some who were in my grandfathers 59th Siege Battery. Lt S.M. Brown and QMS E.J. Stacey M.M. were mentioned they say in 'despatches' {I have not found anything though}.

Sgt. Danson{maybe Denson?} was awarded a D.C.M.

Gunner W. Burdon was awarded a M.M

I would love to know what heroic deeds they did to be awarded, my past experiences with 'Gazette' have not been very forthcoming.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Alan

Alan:

Lt Stafford Meredith Brown: Mentioned in Despatches in London Gazette of 23 December 1918. Also twice wounded. A Regular Officer.

QMS E J Stacey: Received the MM as 30118 Sjt E J Stacey, RGA in London Gazette of 1 Sept 1916. He was also Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 23 December 1918 as a Battery Quartermaster Serjeant.

Sjt Danson (Denson): I cannot find anyone with either name who received the DCM. It might possibly be 27570 Sjt A. E. Dalton who received the DCM in the London Gazette of 21 Oct 1918.

Gnr W. Burdon: This must be 169937 Gnr C W Burden, 59th Siege Battery, RGA who received the Military Medal in the London Gazette of 14 May 1919.

There are citations published in the London Gazette for most MM and MID awards and if you can't find anything in the 59th Siege Battery War Diary there probably will not be any source for these citations. If we can identify the DCM recipient I can most likely give you a citation.

Dick Flory

Alan:

Lt Stafford Meredith Brown: Mentioned in Despatches in London Gazette of 23 December 1918. Also twice wounded. A Regular Officer.

QMS E J Stacey: Received the MM as 30118 Sjt E J Stacey, RGA in London Gazette of 1 Sept 1916. He was also Mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette of 23 December 1918 as a Battery Quartermaster Serjeant.

Sjt Danson (Denson): I cannot find anyone with either name who received the DCM. It might possibly be 27570 Sjt A. E. Dalton who received the DCM in the London Gazette of 21 Oct 1918.

Gnr W. Burdon: This must be 169937 Gnr C W Burden, 59th Siege Battery, RGA who received the Military Medal in the London Gazette of 14 May 1919.

There are citations published in the London Gazette for most MM and MID awards and if you can't find anything in the 59th Siege Battery War Diary there probably will not be any source for these citations. If we can identify the DCM recipient I can most likely give you a citation.

Hello Dick,

Thanks for that, as regards the 59th Siege Battery War Diary, I fear it still remains lost! apart from that very brief one I sent you. I thought the 48 Brigade RGA diary might be next best thing. I just had another look at feint pencil written diary and it might also be Sergt Dawson {MT 59 th Siege}

I fear we won't be able to read at all if they don't transcribe before long!

Regards

Alan

Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

I have been looking at possibilities for Danson/Denson. I have come across an Sjt H. Denson RASC attached to RGA MS/946{WO 372/23}. I Guess it may be a female {not sexist} as details say Womens Services, DCM, MM.

I also found Gunner C.W.Burden {gunner and signaller}M.M. who has 2 medal rollsWO372/23 and WO372/3.

As far as finding anyone of the list goes on Gazette -Online, I have been going round in circles! even armed with the information. Does anyone else have problems with Gazette?

Regards,

Alan

Alan: The Gazette as it is currently setup is very difficult to use. Dick

There are citations published in the London Gazette for most MM and MID

??????????

These are shown as promulgations {entries} only;ie:~ Number/Rank/Name/Regiment/Sometimes Battery/Battalion/Company{Corps} & post 1917 Town of Residence on MM;Etc;

"Citations" in the commonly regarded meaning,ie; a description of how the award was won & when is highly unlikely in the LG for MiD & MM{save for a handful to Nurses & a few for North Russia post 1918}

London Gazette entry for Denson reads:

MS/946 Sjt. H. Denson, R.A.S.C. attd. 59th Sge. By., R.G.A. (Liverpool).

The Gazette can be found Here

Steve

I Guess it may be a female {not sexist} as details say Womens Services, DCM, MM.

WO372/23 covers the three types of award, Womens Services, DCM and MM. It doesn't mean that Denson was a woman....... ;)

I didn't check initially to see if it was a DCM or MM that Denson was awarded but it must have been a DCM because the citation in the Gazette can be found Here

Citation reads:

MS/946 Sjt. H. Denson, R.A.S.C., attd. 59th Sge. By., R.G.A. (Liverpool).

"For great gallantry and devotion to duty. During the recent operations in front of Arras, from 26th August to 6th September, 1918, he worked incessantly night and day, at times under great difficulty, and frequently under heavy shell fire. Great credit is due to him for the success attained in maintaining, the supply of ammunition to the battery."

Regards

Steve

Regarding my statement "There are citations published in the London Gazette for most MM and MID." HarryBetts wrote: "??????????

These are shown as promulgations {entries} only;ie:~ Number/Rank/Name/Regiment/Sometimes Battery/Battalion/Company{Corps} & post 1917 Town of Residence on MM;Etc;

"Citations" in the commonly regarded meaning,ie; a description of how the award was won & when is highly unlikely in the LG for MiD & MM{save for a handful to Nurses & a few for North Russia post 1918}"

HarryBetts is quite right. It was late when I wrote the reply and I meant to write "There are no citations published in the London Gazette for most MM and MIDs" but I evidentally left out the word "no." My apologies. Dick Flory

Hello,

Thanks to Harry, Dick and Steve, I am glad you sorted that out.I was finding it hard to imagine a female in the frontline like that, although there were many brave female nurses etc. My daughter actually got quite excited at the thought, the Womens Services thing threw me. Is there anywhere else that might mention say, Gunner C.W. Burden 169937 {WO 372/23} award of M.M.?

Regards,

Alan

Alan

Gnr. C. W. Burden's MIC in WO372/23 relates to his MM entry in the London Gazette of 14th May 1919, as Dick has already pointed out. If you're interested then the actual entry can be found Here

As for what he was awarded the MM for, if the unit war diary doesn't give any clues then your best bet would be to consult his local newspaper, which in this case would be the paper that covered Walthamstow, his town of residence. I'm afraid I have no idea what this newpaper would have been but a check of the Newspaper Library (Colindale) online catalogue should give you some clues.

Hope this helps

Steve

Alan

According to the London Gazette online there are a few other awards to members of the 59th Siege Battery......

49296 Gnr. J. WIDDOWSON, MID Gazette entry is Here

47204 Bomdr. H. E. TABRETT & 99465 Gnr. C. S. BROOKSBANK, MM Gazette entries are Here

31735 Sjt. J. G. ANSELL, MSM Gazette entry is Here

25053 Sjt. W. C. MILLS, DCM Gazette Citation is Here

32403 Gnr. R. MURPHY, DCM Gazette Citation is Here

MILLS and MURPHY's DCM listing in the Gazette is Here

Hope this is of interest.

Steve

Hello Steve ,

Thanks very much, thats great , I am trying bit by bit to find other members of grandads battery, so I have a few more names now. That old 'jinx' is still with me on Gazette today. I clicked 'here' to all your links , including the other day and it gets page but says 'error occurred'. I will try again later.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Alan

Alan

Have just checked all the links and they worked fine for me but then that's one of the idiosyncracies of the online Gazette <_< .

It can be the most infuriating tool at times but keep on trying it will work eventually.

Steve