Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Units March 1918

Ciaran Byrne

I have a map which lists the German units in action around Jussy on 23rd March 1918. They are listed as the 34th, 37th, 33rd and 103rd and to their right the 10th I.B. My question is, were these units regiments or actual divisions. The map does not give any indication as to the make up of these units.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter??

My opinion is divisions, I did a quick check on the numbers provided and found the 34th Division was at Jussy on 23 March. The others also appear to be in the same vicinity on this day as well.

Ralph

Thats great Ralph, I had thought as much but this confirms it.

33rd Division: 98th IR, 130th IR, 135th IR

34th Division: 30th IR, 67th IR, 145th IR

37th Division: 147th IR, 150th IR, 151st IR

103rd Division: 32nd IR, 71st IR, 144th IR

10th Division: 6th Grenadier Regiment, 47th IR, 395th IR.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Ciaran

Is it possible to scan and post a copy of the map here? I'm interested in obtaining a copy for my own research. My Great Uncle died in a counter attack involving the 11th Batt Kings Liverpool at a place called Flavey-le-martel on the 23rd....just about 1/2 mile west of Jussey.

Cheers

Peter

Out of interest, what unit are you interested in mate? One in the British 14th Div or the 11th RF's? I have the 11th RF, 6 Northants & 7 Beds diaries for 21 - 23 March if you need it.

Was walking the Crozat canal only yesterday funnily enough, looking at where the 7th beds held between Mennessis & the (formerly) Montagne Bridge (now theres just a lock 50 or so yards north of where it used to be & a pile of stones that were once the bridge) & breifly skirted Jussy butran out of time. Have pics of the 7 Beds line from the Canal back through Haute Tombelle to Faillouel if you need them?

Mail me if I can help out ... :D

Steve

I am after anything relating to/or mentioning the 11th (Service) Batt Kings L'pool for the period 2/2/18 to 23/3/18.

I have copies of the Batt diary, extracts from the KLR History and extracts from a specific history of the 11th (held at the IWM).

They were pioneers attached to the 14th Division at the time of the offensive. They had been working on the redoubts and fortifications in the Essigny/Benay area and were placed under control of the 42nd Bde when it became apparant something was about to happen (about the 19th or 20th). My Great Uncle was serving in D Co and, over the next 2 days, withdrew to Petit Detroit where they were reunited with the other companies.

On the 23rd they formed part of a counterattack against the Germans on Flavy-le-Martel and, in the ensuing mele, was killed.

Unfortunately the area you have photos of is about a mile or so south of the specific bit I'm looking at ie Flavey-le-Martell and Petit Detroit - but if there's anything in your diaries that mentions the 11th I'd appreciate getting a copy.

Cheers

Pete

Have had a look through what i have & nothing of use Im afraid. Drove throught Flavy too :rolleyes:

Worth a go anyway ...