Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusion between Medals and MIC

Thomas

I hope some pals can help me. In the MIC it states that HENRY J ADAMS was TRANS 21.6.16 to the RE from the RHA getting a new REGTL NO 130860 yet his British war and Victory medals have RA on them and his old number 7822.

Can someone please explain as well what does ROSES next to clasp in his entitlement to the 1914 Star

I've just started reasearching these medals since getting them at Christmas so any help in fitting this mans army service together would be appreciated not only was in the Great War but in the Boer War as well so I've got a lot more research ahead of me.

Thanks in advance

From

Thomas McCall

War and victory medals were awarded to the original corps /regiment number. Clasps and roses mean he was within gunfire range of the germans in france and Flanders between AUG and Nov 1914. Bar to be worn on the 14 star, clasps on metal ribbon if medals not worn. Gareth

Check out the Long Long Trail{Click on words},@ the head of this Forum it will help with many of your research queries!The Rose emblem was worn on the 1914 Star Medal ribbon,when worn in undress uniform[ie on a Ribbon Bar]to denote the recipient had been awarded the Clasp:"5th Aug~22nd Nov.1914";The anotation on your Index Card is the Roll Page reference confirming the award.

As your man had previous South African War Service 1899~1902 He will have Medal Rolls listing the Medal awarded for that Campaign with the Relevant Clasps[these are not available online but are held @ the National Archive]It is possible if discharged prior to 1913 that his papers for that period survive;again @ the NA[though only around some 30~40% survive]or if his Service was continuous Paopers covering the whole period might survive.