Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In the Line 1914-1918

Robert Dunlop

This book, recently republished by Naval and Military Press, arrived just in time for Christmas Day. That I have finished reading it already is testament to the content. It is an English translation of Bucher's original and, as the introduction says, '"In the Line" is exciting and absorbing'.

Bucher had the book published sometime after the war ended. He published it is response to 'a war-book which held up the German front-line soldier to the laughter of the world, only then did I realise that there was still a battle to be fought for those who had laid down their lives. That alone, without ulterior motive, is why I [took] this book from its hiding place.'

Bucher was a infantryman who served in the German Army from the beginning right through to Armistice Day. He fought in the battles of the Frontier, Verdun, where he was wounded in the head, Somme, Pilckem Ridge, Reims, and the Meuse-Argonne. There is very little about 1914. Thereafter, he provides detailed accounts of his experiences of the other battles. The descriptions are not for the faint-hearted. One-by-one, his close friends were killed. Bucher illustrates how his psychological state changed over the course of the war. His insights into the last months are extremely interesting.

A very clear account of a German soldier's experiences on the Western Front, this book is highly recommended.

Robert

This book, recently republished by Naval and Military Press, arrived just in time for Christmas Day. That I have finished reading it already is testament to the content. It is an English translation of Bucher's original and, as the introduction says, '"In the Line" is exciting and absorbing'.

Bucher had the book published sometime after the war ended. He published it is response to 'a war-book which held up the German front-line soldier to the laughter of the world, only then did I realise that there was still a battle to be fought for those who had laid down their lives. That alone, without ulterior motive, is why I [took] this book from its hiding place.'

A very clear account of a German soldier's experiences on the Western Front, this book is highly recommended.

Robert

I have been to have a look at it online and as soon as the credit card comes out of post Christmas intensive care, I will order it. Is there any indication as to which book he was referring to ?

Is there any indication as to which book he was referring to ?

Do you mean Bucher's original? It was 'WestFront, 1914-1918: Das Buch vom Frontkameraden'. There is one copy available on Abebooks.com.

Robert