Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What battle was this?

Guest Lynda Welch

Guest Lynda Welch

I have come across the following memorandum with my great grandfather's papers that reads: "The attack which we are about to undertake is of the first importance to the Allied Cause. The Army and the Nation are watching the result, and Sir John French is confident that every individual in the IV.Corps will do his duty and inflict a crushing defeat on the German VII. Corps which is opposed to us. " Signed H. Rawlinson, Lieut. General, Commanding IV. Corps; Dated: Headquarters, IV. Corps 9-3-15 (I beleive this to be March 9, 1915).

Any idea which battle this might have been? My great grandfather, James Morris Jones 12628. was a sniper and was injured in the chest in March 1915, and hospitalized in Bologne, France.

Lynda, thank you for sharing this. Orgnaised sniping was still in its infancy in the British Army at this time. For more details of the sorts of things your great grandfather may have done, I would suggest the following book:

'Sniping in France 1914-1918: With notes on the scientific training of scouts, observers and snipers' by Hesketh-Prichard (ISBN 1874622477).

Robert