Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Book would make a great film?

Ciaran Byrne

Personally I think "There's a Devil in the Drum" would be a good one. Maybe "Old Soldiers Never Die" ?

Depends who made it...but "Middle Parts of Fortune" would get my vote. It would have to be sensitively made, but it encompasses a small set of central characters, not too many opportunities for mega-buck special effects, and actually has characters you could be interested in.

However, Spielberg could get hold of it, and with Tom Hanks as the American volunteer on the Western front, with Gwyneth Paltrow as the French can-can dancer who made it to the trenches to save the Brad Pitt character, it could be truly awful.

Maybe it's best if we don't play this game.....Hollywood might be watching..... :(

However, Spielberg could get hold of it, and with Tom Hanks as the American volunteer on the Western front, with Gwyneth Paltrow as the French can-can dancer who made it to the trenches to save the Brad Pitt character, it could be truly awful.

Steven,

You have briefly, but truly deftly put the ways of tinseltown...

Yet they one did films like "All Quiet on the Western Front" and "Paths of Glory"... Are these days gone? or can we have some hope that we'll have again a decent WW1 film from the aforementioned neighbourhood from LA?

Gloria

'There's A Devil In The Drum' would be the best.

It could be done at a price Channel 4 or the BBC could afford and so spare us from the 'How America Won Every War' version of History (Objective Burma, Patton, U -50000000 etc).

Sean

Zeebrugge, St George's Day by Barrie Pitt. I've not read enough about the raid to know how good the book is, but just the bravery of those men and the scenes on the Mole in the right director's hands....

Regards

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly

Colonel Paddy - except no-one would believe it was true! WW2

Devil in the Drum would be excellent .... but also doff my cap to Langley B's favourite!

The War The Infantry Knew; covers some of the above plus a couple of poets/authors and is full of characters.

Their is a film out early next year called "Merry Christmas or joueux noel about the xmas truce on Christmas day 1914, the film is with British, French and German actors go to:

http://www.merrychristmas-themovie.com/

for more information

good to see the europeans doing a war for once. otherwise if Hollywood got to make the film they would try and change history again.

Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps would definitely get my vote. Also in the running would be A Life Apart (6/West Kents from 1916) and Old Soldiers Never Die.

"The whistlers room" a very well observed book would make a very good film

Both of Frank Richards books would make a superb film following on one another. A large slice of the history of the British Empire covered, several minor and one major war, as well as the changes in the army itself, social change etc.

One can get rather tired of our British cousins sniping at Hollywood and its attempts to rewrite the history of WWII.

Hollywood makes movies for American consumers primarily and if foreign distribution occurs, all the better, but this somewhat superior attitude toward the "colonials" bothers me a bit.

Of course we must not forget Great Britains contributions to winning of World War Two.

"The Man Who Never Was" "Cockleshell Heros" "Dambusters" "In Which We Serve" "Immortal Battalion" "The Battle of Britain"and "Mrs Minever" were never slanted toward the British effort, were they?

Lets face, truth be known, the Russians probably did more to win WWII than anyone else.

Like the Confederate General Pickett, touring the battlefield at Gettysburg after the Civil War, was queried by his followers as to why his charge, so carefully planned, failed.

Picketts reply was "Well, I think the Yankees had something to do with it."

The winning of WWII was a combined effort of the forces of GB, Canada, OZ, NZ, USA and Russia.

Please stop trashing the United States. Trash Hollywood instead.

DrB

:)

Maybe it's best if we don't play this game.....Hollywood might be watching..... :(

Hey, DrB - I was trashing Hollywood. And, to be honest, they have made some good war movies (Platoon is one of my favourites); it's just that...well...Errol Flynn and Objective Burma started a ball rolling. Mrs Miniver was made in Hollywood (and Winston Churchill felt it had a lot to do with bringing America in on our side, so fair play). It's only that on this side of the pond films like U whatever it was set the teeth on edge, with Hollywood effectively re-writing history to suit their agenda.

And don't (please) let's start on Braveheart - that was a bloody Aussie having a pop! B)

For Steven Broomfield...no offense, my "rant" is over.

We must never forget that no one country was responsible for winning any war. It was a joint effort, and to paraphrase Orwell "All countries are equal, it is just that some countries are more equal than others."

My studies of history have led me to believe that all countries are inherently somewhat nasty when it comes to political manouvers. My Pollyannas have all been smashed and diplomacy is the fine art of saying "Nice doggie" while you are hunting for a bigger stick.

The problem with all that is that it is the younger men which must pay the price for their fathers gaffes.

I have seen it from both sides. The fighting and the dispatching of men to fight.

Both suck.

DrB

:)

'Storm of Steel' by Junger.

...and this. (though I fear it would turn into some sort of dire "Wheels of Terror" by Sven Hassel if portrayed on the silver screen!