Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S. Leander torpedoed 15.10.17 ?

bobbluesboy

I have a set of service papers to TZ 9673 Thomas Newton RNVR.Joined as Wireless Ord and went to RND 24/7/16 then Victory VI 25/7/16 to 25/8/16 then Daedalus 26/8/16 to 20/10/16 as Wireless AB then Victory VI again 21/10/16 29/1/17 then Vivid I 30/1/17 to 31/3/17 then to Vivid III 1/4/17 to 22/4/17 then Demobilised then Remobilised 23/4/17 - 12/3/19 at President III.In Sub Ratings and badges is listed as DAMS (Defensively Armed Merchant Ships) from 31/4/17 - 31/1/19.

In the remarks column it states *NP 8568/17 .Saved when S.S. Leander was torpedoed 15.X.17* has anyone on this amazing board of knowledge any info on this vessel as I can find nothing at all?

Any info appreciated.Merry Xmas and all the best for the New Year to all on the forumn.Bob Clayton.

Bob,

The Leander in question was a 2793 grt steamer built in 1905. She was torpedoed off Portland Bill on October 15, 1917 while on a voyage from Manchester for St. Helens with way by the German minelaying submarine UC 77. No lives were lost on the steamer, which is listed as being towed into Portland.

Best wishes,

Michael

Bob,

The Leander in question was a 2793 grt steamer built in 1905. She was torpedoed off Portland Bill on October 15, 1917 while on a voyage from Manchester for St. Helens with way by the German minelaying submarine UC 77. No lives were lost/ on the steamer, which is listed as being towed into Portland.

Best wishes,

Michael

Many thanks for the information Mike.I have searched on the internet,etc, and found nothing at all could I ask you where you obtained the info from?Was the voyage from Manchester to St Helens as this is only just up the Manchester Ship Canal.Cheers for your help Mike and all the best for Xmas and the New Year,Bob.

Bob,

The standard sources. British merchant ships sunk or damaged are listed in British Vessels Lost at Sea 19114-18 and Lloyd's War Losses: the First World War. The Leander is included in both. Also Harald Bendert's UC-Boote der Kaiserliche Marine has the attribution to UC 77 (it ultimately comes from Admiral Arno Spindler's official history of German submarine operations against merchant shipping).

And yes, from Manchester to St. Helens.

Best wishes,

Michael

Bob,

The standard sources. British merchant ships sunk or damaged are listed in British Vessels Lost at Sea 19114-18 and Lloyd's War Losses: the First World War. The Leander is included in both. Also Harald Bendert's UC-Boote der Kaiserliche Marine has the attribution to UC 77 (it ultimately comes from Admiral Arno Spindler's official history of German submarine operations against merchant shipping).

And yes, from Manchester to St. Helens.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael.The reason I asked about Manchester - St Helens is that Portland is a bit out of the way for that trip however there are other Manchester,s around the world... USA for example,could it have been one of them at all ? All the best Bob.

UC77 was later sunk:-

UC77 Ries F Flotilla Destroyed in Dover area, 10 July 1918 Phil B

The Royal Navy, based upon the information it had available to it, generated a list during the war of how it thought various U-boats were sunk. This is (unfortunately) still the basis of many U-boat loss attribution. In this case, the Royal Navy's knowledge was rather incomplete: UC 77 did not sail on its final patrol until July 11, 1918!

Last year, working with Belgian divers and other rsearchers, I was able to establish that an UCII wreck near the Fairy Bank off the Belgian coast was in all likelihood that of UC 77. She hit a newly-laid British mine while homebound.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael.The reason I asked about Manchester - St Helens is that Portland is a bit out of the way for that trip however there are other Manchester,s around the world... USA for example,could it have been one of them at all ? All the best Bob.

Well, given that the source is British, I would presume it's the obvious Manchester and a less obvious St. Helens (the exact notation is "St. Helens (f.o.)) -- like, perhaps, the one on the Isle of Wight, in which case the routing would be perfectly logical.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
Well, given that the source is British, I would presume it's the obvious Manchester and a less obvious St. Helens (the exact notation is "St. Helens (f.o.)) -- like, perhaps, the one on the Isle of Wight, in which case the routing would be perfectly logical.

Best wishes,

Michael

That would make much more sense - St Helens (Lancs) isn't on the Manchester Ship Canal, and any waterway journey would have to include the meandering Sankey Canal, which went from the Mersey at Widnes to St Helens town centre.

I vote Isle of Wight.

Cheers,

Ste