Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding a MiD please

Jerrymurland

Lt. W. S. Murland MiD 8.11.18 - can I find it??? Can I hell! Any of you Gazette experts got 10 mins to spare? Merry Christmas - just escaped the washing up by sneaking off to my den to do a bit of research.............

What isn't, avoiding the washing up or finding the MiD?

Jerry

Need to dig a bit deeper. All I could find was these few snippets but the dessert wine is kicking in now. :D

ws37tv.jpg

ws22ui.jpg

ws12lq.jpg

Davie.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, Jerry.

London Gazette 20-12-1918 (published 17-12-1918)

The MID Gazettes by this time of the War were split over 6 supplements (listed by units), hence even more difficult to find even if you know a date!

The 8-11-1918 date actually refers to the date that Douglas Haig wrote the recommendations for Mentions in Despatches, rather than the Gazette date.

"War Office,

20th December 1918.

The following despatch has been received by the Secretary of State for War from Field-Marshal Sir Douglas Haig, K.T., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C'.LE., Commander-in-Chief, the British Armies in France:—

General Headquarters,

8th November, 1918.

MY LORD:—

I have the honour to submit a list of names of those officers, ladies, non-commissioned officers and men serving, or who have served, under my command during the period 25th February, 1918, to midnight 16th/17th September, 1918, whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention.

I have the honour to be,

My Lord,

Your Lordship's obedient servant,

D. HAIG,

Field-Marshal,

Commanding-in-Chief.,

The British Armies in France.

The list of names will be published in six separate Supplements as under:—

(1) R.N., Commands and Staff, Intelligence Corps, Cavalry and Yeomanry. (31077)"

10th Hussars.

Murland, Lt. (A./C'apt.) W. S.

Williams, Maj. E. H. W., D.S.O.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

We've got the MC but no citation, one of the birthday honours list MCs. Still hoping though .........

Steve, you are a star!! Many thanks.

Jerry