Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Topography of Armageddon - Book with Trenschmaps

TheyCalleditPassiondale

Can anyone advise me on this book mentioned ? It seems like it has a lot of trenchmap-pictures.

My only intrest goes to "Ypres Salient", as I live there.

Greetz,

;)

Although i have no copy myself it always gets good reviews as i believe it has about100? pages of trench maps reproduced, and no doubt several relating to the Salient, you should be able to get a copy on the net, very best regards John

I know the book, but haven't got it myself. But there is a copy in the Ypres Documentation Centre.

And of course all the other trench maps of the Ypres Salient you cannot even imagine in your wildest imagination. :D

Aurel

Topography of Armageddon is a fine volume. The maps (most trench, some fine detail sketches) provide covergae of most of the key incidents and areas on the Western Front. Don't, therefore, expect it to concentrate upon Ypres and the Salient. I would not want to be without it as a general reference but it is in monochrome (though the maps show up very well) and it does not cover every inch of the Western Front through all it's phases. It is good value for what it is and a pleasure to use.

Do not expect to be able to find every trench in the Salient with names, though I am sure you would not be disappointed.

What are the alternatives:

1. The series of trench maps reproduced by G H Smith as sold through their web site, the IWM and places such as the Delville Wood visitor centre. AT £3 or £4 for a 70% size colour reproduction they are fine value - but coverage is not exhaustive by any means.

2. The WFA trench map service for members. These are monochrome prints and greatly vary in quality but do offer some unique maps & diagrams.

3. The N&M/IWM Trench Map CD. This will give you about 175 maps of pretty much the whole of the western front with fair coverage of the Salient, though not always the area you wnat for the date you want. Maps can be printed out (though it takes ages on a large sheet printer such as the A1 printer I have used a couple of time - selected parts on A4 or A3 look fine and monochrome on a laser printer is fine for general use. I think it works out at about £100 at present (inc VAT)

4. Buy originals, if you can find them and if you can afford them (£75 to £175 to judge by dealers and Ebay sellers).

5. Obtain copies from maps held by archives such as The National Archive at Kew; The IWM; regimental museums etc.

Hope this helps.

Martin

I've got the book. It's actually 200 pages in length with a decent amount of trenchmap extracts (only extracts, mind) for the Ypres Salient. Most of these pages (180 or so?) are full A3 size extracts of maps (mainly the 1:10,000 scale regular series, but other scales and series also feature). A major drawback is the fact that they are all in B&W and it can be difficult to actually use as an "atlas" as such. Also, the vast majority of the British western front isn't covered away from the main places.

Personally, I don't rate it all that highly and it's a rare occasion when it comes down from my shelf!

D.

4. Buy originals, if you can find them and if you can afford them (£75 to £175 to judge by dealers and Ebay sellers).

Phew! And the rest!!! - Have you seen the prices of late on ebay? :o It's not worth even looking there at the moment!!!

D.

I have the book and whilst it is ok I prefer to use the Trench Maps CD, despite it's drawbooks mentioned earlier.

The book only gives part of the relevant maps and quality can be sometimes 'iffy'.

WFA maps are full size and the ones I have are clear enough.

Regards

John