Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Machine Gun Batteries

belgotim

Hello,

I am researching a family member of mine who was part of the Machine Gun Corps.

His details:

E.L.F. Baines

(London Gazette: 20 June 1919: "Temp. 2nd Lt. E. L. F. Baines to be temp. Lt. 27 Dec. 1918.")

Rumours has it that he ended the war in the Levant (Syria - Lebanon).

Can anybody tell me if it was only 25th and 17th Batteries that operated in that region?

Additionally, I note from the National Archives that these batteries do not have exisiting War Diaries...

any ideas?

thanks,

Tim

Tim.

If you go to the Long, Long trail,and look in Army - Machine gun Corps, then scroll down to the bottom there is a list of Motor Machine Gun Batteries, and some info on where they operated. It says there .....

17 - Moved to Egypt in January 1917. Was equipped with 5 Studebaker armoured cars, moving into Palestine April 1917. Redesignated 15 Light Armoured Motor Battery in June 1917.

25 - Established in India, in May 1917. Moved to Egypt July 1917. Disbanded January 1918.

Quite a few batteries were disbanded before 1918, or had evolved into L.A.M.B units - of which several operated in the Middle east and Mesopotamia, so he might have been in cars by the end of the war - as also happened in my grandfather's case. On saying that, going by photos the car units also used bikes as "pathfinders" and flank protection.

Charles Messenger is the man who may be able to help you.

Good luck with your search. David

Hi David,

thanks for this.

Who is Charles Messenger and where can I contact him?

I am silently hoping that somewhere "out there" a list of all the people that were in the MGC (Motors) exists....

Tim

Tim

I feel a little like the 'genie in the lamp'. The Light Armed Motor Batteries involved in Allenby's final advance were Nos 2, 11 and 12. Nos 1,2, and 7 Light Car Patrols were also involved. There are some war diaries at Kew which cover these. They are:

WO 95/4406 - 2 Light Armoured Car Battery (LAMB) ,11 and 12 LAMB

WO 95/4478 - Light Car Patrols

I suspect that your man was in one of these.

I know of no nominal roll of all who served in MGC(Motors), but his name may crop up in one of the above war diaries.

I hope this helps.

Charles M

Hi Tim

You can try the book (War Cars British Armoured Cars in the First World War) By David Fletcher published by HMSO Books in 1987 ISBN 0 11 290439 4. try looking on ABE Books it gos for around £20.00 good look Roy.

The Canadian Expeditionary Force [CEF] formed what later became known as the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade on 11 August 1914 and expanded to add the 2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade in late May 1918.

They operated in association with the CEF in France and Belgium with each brigade including five batteries.

Borden Battery

Hi Charles,

thanks for the info!

I'll look up the files next time in the NA.

I was told last week that the same chap, claimed he was in observation balloons when in the Middle East...not too sure how he was able to be in a balloon and at the same time be in a Machine Gun Corps Motor Company!

Tim