Second Lieutenant HERBERT NORWELL

5th Bn. attd. 2nd Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died age 20

on 12 April 1918

was his death recorded in the diary?

alec.norwell@ntlworld.com

Edited by alecnorwell

Morning Alec

Welcome to the board. Herbert Norwell will have died in the Battle of the Lys. 2nd RF was in 86 Bde of 29 Div. Together with 87 Bde they were thrust into a gap in the line with their flanks in the air near La Crèche to oppose advancing Germans. On the 11th and 12th April they retreated under heavy attack through the village of Bleu to Vieux Berquin. This info is taken from the 29th Div's History. I do have the 2RF's war diary for April 1918, but at the moment it has been hidden away while we have Christmas guests. Add another query to this thread to remind me in the New Year, and I will definitely look it out for you. Meantime, have a good Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Richard, you have been a great help to me, in the research of Herbert Norwell, reading just a few days of the War Diary, that you kindly sent me was an eye opener to the cost in lives and the conditions they endured. I could not understand why they were able to recover his watch and send it to his family, but not the body, as stated in his service records, but as you say, they were retreating under heavy fire, and so his body was probably left behind. Thanks again Alec