Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did he travel to Preston to enlist

Guest Degsy

My grandfather served in the 1914 1918 war in the 8th battalion of the East Lancs reg. He lived in Liverpool, but I notice from your forum that the 8th battalion was formed in Preston. Did he have to go to Preston to enlist or could he have done it in Liverpool. He was killed in Sept 1915 and was of the rank of saergent. Would he have risen to this rank in that short time, or is it possible he had been in the a rmy previously. He was 38 at the time of his death

Any chance of his name :D

Glyn

Any chance of his name :D

Glyn

Thank you Glynn

His name is JAMES NEWSOME SKELLY Sargent 8th bat No 14951 and he died in France buried at ETAPLES cemetery. Date of death is 6 September 1915

regards Degsy

Degsy

Firstly welcome to the forum madhouse.

According to Soldiers Died In The Great War CD your Grandfather enlisted in Liverpool.

It also states he Died of Wounds.

Hope this helps a bit- Now you need a Lancs expert with the Unit histories/Diary.

Also search the forum - its amazing what you find

Good Luck

Glyn

Beaten by seconds :lol:

Degsy

Firstly welcome to the forum madhouse.

According to Soldiers Died In The Great War CD your Grandfather enlisted in Liverpool.

It also states he Died of Wounds.

Hope this helps a bit- Now you need a Lancs expert with the Unit histories/Diary.

Also search the forum - its amazing what you find

Good Luck

Glyn

Beaten by seconds :lol:

Glyn

Thank you so much. I never expected to get a reply so soon, and also my question answered. Does this CD give any more info, such as the place of birth or anything. We know almost nothing about him as He and ny grandmother were married only a couple of years when he died

Degsy

Degsy

This is what SDGW provides

Glyn

post-5500-1135377823.jpg

Degsy,

Your grandfather is commemorated on the war memorial in St Bride with St Saviour Church, Percy St, Liverpool.

Promenade

Thank you for your reply. I did find this out from the channel 4 site, but I have no idea as to why he was on this memorial. I visited th church to look at it which I was fortunate to do as the church is now more of a drop in centre, and it was tucked away in an office. I have researched the church records, but to no avail, and I cannot make out why he was on this memorial, as our family never had any connection with this church

Degsy

degsy,have you come across any ref that he was a stoker on steamships before the war,bernard

No, but I did see a census with someone of the same name registered as a stoker, but I do not think that this is him. I do feel that he served in the army prior to the 1914-1918 war as he was only serving a short time before he died, and his rank was sergent. This seems a bit improbable that he would have achieved this rank after such a short time

regards

Degsy

Degsy,

Find attached an image of your gradfather's grave at Etaples. The Epitaph reads:

Sweet Heart of Jesus

Have mercy on his Soul

Sadly missed by

His wife and baby Agnes.

Hope this is useful

Stephen

Degsy,

Find attached an image of your gradfather's grave at Etaples. The Epitaph reads:

Sweet Heart of Jesus

Have mercy on his Soul

Sadly missed by

His wife and baby Agnes.

Hope this is useful

Stephen

post-1208-1136211380.jpg

Degsy,

Sweet Heart of Jesus

Have mercy on his Soul

Sadly missed by

His wife and baby Agnes.

Hope this is useful

Stephen

Degsy,

Sweet Heart of Jesus

Have mercy on his Soul

Sadly missed by

His wife and baby Agnes.

Hope this is useful

Stephen

Thank you so much, this is the first time I have seen this

Stephen - great addition to the answer, well done.

Degsy - wild shot in the dark, but I wonder if the man on this webpage might be a relative? The site is run by this forum's most prolific member who goes by the name of Croonaert.

http://pathsofglory.co.uk/Tom%20Skelly.htm