Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locating a death

MParnham

I am trying to locate where a relative died (Sept 1915) – I have the following contemporary reference points – “The SHRINE”, “The WARREN”, “BERKELEY STREET” (presumably a trench?). I believe they were all near the village of GIVENCHY. Any information on where these were would help – any sort of map would be fantastic.

Thanks

Martin

Hello

tell us who he was and in which unit he served - you are more likely to get a result

Ian

Hi Martin

Thanks for getting back to me - the casualty was C. Hurst-Brown (2nd Lieut - Ox's Buck's light infantry). He was mortaly wounded on the 25th Sept 1915 and died the next day. The units war diaries contain a detailed account of the fighting but they use the location references given above. I realise that many such features were here today and all to often (literally!) gone tomorrow. The map is a tremendous help - in conjunction with the diaries I can now pin down were he was shot within a few yards. The family intend to visit some time next year to pay our respects to Cecil and the other 2 family members killed.

Many thanks

Martin

I am imagine you have located his grave here

Name: HURST-BROWN, CECIL

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Additional information: Son of W. Hurst-Brown and Ethel M. D. Hurst-Brown, of 620, Oxford Gardens, North Kensington, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. J. 6.

Cemetery: BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

I am imagine you have located his grave here

Name: HURST-BROWN, CECIL

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Additional information: Son of W. Hurst-Brown and Ethel M. D. Hurst-Brown, of 620, Oxford Gardens, North Kensington, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. J. 6.

Cemetery: BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

Thanks Jim - He was the second of 2 brothers killed within 3 months of each other. It sent my wifes great grand mother (Ethyl - their mother) insane with grief - she spent the rest of her life in and out of mental hospital -thus 2 casualties became 3 - very sad.

Martin

• 16 years later...

Hi Martin, I have just returned from a trip to Ypres and while out there visited Dudley H-B's grave in Dickebusche New Military Cemetery. My daughter is nanny to Tania (nee Hurst-Brown) Tate's children. Tania's Great Grandfather was Kenneth Hurst-Brown brother to Dudley and Cecil. He survived the war as he was found collapsed in his room at Oxford University with a burst appendix and hospitalised. I am trying to get more information on Dudley such as which ADS he may have been taken to. He was wounded on 13/06/1915 and died on 15/06/1915 a week after his 18th birthday. He was in the 129th battery, 30th Brigade RFA. These guys manned 4.5 Howitzers with a range of circa 6km. At the time, I believe they were shelling the area around Hill 60. I can't find any information on their position around Dickebusch Lake though. Equally, if he was caught in return shellfire from the German side, which artillery unit fired it. My research continues! Paul

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_E4510.JPG

IMG_E4511.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

• Admin

@MParnham hasn’t visited the forum for 10 years. My tag may or may not alert them to your post. 

Thanks, Michelle. I had noted the date of his conversation and appreciated there may well be all manner of reasons why he may not pick up the message. Cheers, Paul