I would be interested in any mention of the following:-

Captain Priestley KIA 12/9/1914

Captain Roe KIA 16/9/1914

Major Roper KIA 12/10/1914

Lt Parkinson KIA 13/10/1914

Lt Pitt KIA 13/10/1914

Many Thanks - Richard

Richard,

Apologies for making your request public, but I thought the response might be of general interest to other Forum memebers. I will post each Officer separately.

Regards

Steve

War Diary of the 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment:

WEDNESDAY 9th SEPTEMBER 1914

Advance continued via SAARCY - crossing R.MARNE. E. of MERY. Halted at P of PASSY. Heavy gun fire in front.

12.noon

Advance continued. When head of 15th Bde had reached about N of LE LIMON, that part of column which was then crossing open space just S of N of LE LIMON came under heavy shell fire from a battery about pt 189. LES MAILLONS. This Battery had been reported as deserted, but it continued to cause considerable loss throughout the day. Bn moved under cover into low ground, near N of LE LIMON on west side of road.

B Coy detached to march in front of Bde HdQrs.

1.pm

Bn formed up at Farm 1/2 mile N of LE LIMON, with orders to attack pt.189 (on the suggestion of Lt Col Bols) the Brigadier also ordering the Norfolks to support. Bn deployed - D Coy on right and C Coy on left forming firing line & supports and A Coy and M.G. Section being in reserve. B Coy was still detached from remainder of Bn. 1st Line Transport remained at Farm

1-2.pm

Bn moved forward through woods and by 2pm were in position just N of road between words PISSELOUP and GENEVRAIS, the left of C Coy being in touch with mixed units of 14th Inf Bde (Suffolks and Manchesters)

2.20pm

Following message sent to 15th Bde. "I will attack shortly. What artillery support may I expect.?"

2.40pm

Message to Bde for SAA Carts.

2 to 3.pm

Bn moved gradually forward to a line about 500 yds N of word PISSELOUP. B Coy had now left Bde HdQrs and had moved to the western edge of the BOIS DES ESSERTIS being in touch with D Coy.

From 3pm

Firing line subjected to heavy gun, rifle and machine gun fire. 2 Coys, Norfolks, sent into BOIS DES ESSERTIS to support our right. Remainder of Norfolks were in wood just S of 2nd P of PISSELOUP.

During this whole of this time the attack received no artillery support, although under heavy shell fire and the firing line was consequently unable to get forward.

5.30pm

Lt Col Bols received verbal orders from the Brigadier that the Bn was to retire after dark to an entrenched position just west of BEZU in conjunction with rest of Brigade.

6.30pm

Firing ceased and Bn withdrew to trenches which were occupied by A & C Coys - B and C Coys being in reserve.

9.pm

Message received from Brigade that enemy was retiring North, and that Bde would stand to arms at 4.30am and advance on MONTREUIL.

Casualties.

Officers - Wounded.

Major C. Saunders-----C Coy-----Slightly

Capt A R M Roe*-----B Coy-----Severely

Capt A B. Priestley*-----B Coy-----Severely

Lieut A.K.D. George-----D Coy-----severely

* since died of wounds.

NCOs and men

Killed----- 7

Wounded----- 31

Missing----- 4

Weather. Fine but colder.

One can see that Captain Priestley actually died on 12th September 1914 of wounds received three days earlier on 9th September during the Battle of the Marne. He is buried in Coulommiers Communal Cemetery, which was a French hospital centre during the First World War. The communal cemetery contains 32 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, one of which is unidentified.

Similarly Captain Roe died on 16th September 1914 also of wounds received in the same action as Captain Priestley. As he died 4 days later he was moved further down the evacuation line and is buried in Le Mans West Cemetery. In 1914, when St. Nazaire and Nantes were the British bases, Le Mans was the Advanced Base and a hospital centre. There are 61 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-18 war, 1 of which is unidentified.

Edited by SPotter

MONDAY 12th OCTOBER 1914

?_.pm

Bn marched with 15th Bde via GORRE towards FESTHUBERT. Bn halted on RUE DE BETHUNE owing to shell fire and then moved South to canal, thence along canal towpath to PONT FIXE. A & D Coys were ordered to occupy positions South & North of the bridge A Coy being on the South and D Coy on the north. One machine Gun was placed on the 1st floor of a big unfinished factory just North of the canal bank.

There was no immediate German advance but the machine gun in the factory opened on Germans debouching from brickfields near H of CUINCHY. The German firing line was checked by this fire. Later a movement of Germans was detected just S of U of CUINCHY but their advance presented a good target to the machine Gun and the Germans fell back.

4.pm

General advance of Dorsets ordered [objective LA BASSEE] in conjunction with French on right and 1/Bedford Regt on the left, A Coy moving on South bank of the canal and D Coy on the North Bank forming the firing line B & C Coy being in reserve. The machine Gun was ordered to support the attack.

A Coy moved up the South bank under cover of high bank and did not come under fire from CUINCHY (although held by the enemy) and subsequently inflicted severe loss upon Germans North of CUINCHY. Meanwhile D.Coy. advancing from the factory towards a small farm about 200 yds East of it came under heavy crossfire from snipers on the high canal bank (southside) and suffered casualties - Major Roper was killed at this farm about 4.30pm.

Attack had made excellent progress and a line had been established from LA BASSEE Canal to large farm North of GIVENCHY.

Dispositions for night.

B and C Coys entrenched on rise upon which above mentioned Farm stood.

A Coy withdrawn to PONT FIXE and with D Coy and BnHdQrs billeted there.

Casualties

11 killed

30 wounded

2 missing

Major Reginald Trevor Roper is buried in Brown's Road Military Cemetery, Festubert. The cemetery was begun in October 1914, and carried on by fighting units and field ambulances until November 1917, when it contained 299 graves. It was greatly enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from small cemeteries and isolated sites on the surrounding battlefields. Brown's Road Cemetery now contains 1,071 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 407 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate three casualties believed to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.

TUESDAY 13th OCTOBER 1914

PONT FIXE - GIVENCHY. near LA BASSEE____________________Reference ARRAS map

In accordance with Bde Orders Bn moved at 5.30am as follows:

5.30am

Firing line B and C Coys, Support D Coy, Reserve A Coy. Machine Gun was in position in house on North Bank of Canal near I of PONT FIXE. Advance was slow in order to give units on right and left time to get up in line.

7.20am

Report to Bde that Bn had reached line 200 yds East of track running South from E of GIVENCHY, and that advance had been checked to enable Bns on right (1/Bedfords) and left (2/K.O.S.Borderers) to come up into line. Also that there appeared to be little opposition in front. Situation remained the same till 9.am the village of CUINCHY on south bank of canal being not cleared of the enemy.

9.10am

O.C. Dorsets reported situation to Bde stating Bn position was the same as reported at 7.20am.

11.20am

Enemy shelled Bn very heavily from a NorthEasterly direction.

12.noon

Hostile machine gun opened heavy enfilade fire at short range on our right flank - near Canal Bank. B Coy commenced to withdraw as their right was exposed.

12.30pm

O.C. Dorsets reported situation and asked for artillery support. Enemy's artillery & machine gun fire increased in volume and firing line gradually fell back on trenches occupied by supports.

12.45pm

Major SAUNDERS sent to dispose reserve Company and inform artillery Commander of situation.

1.45pm

Germans advanced from East end of GIVENCHY, some carrying lances. About 250 suddenly appeared from the left rear of C Coy. These were mistaken for French Cavalry and fire was not opened on them. About a Battalion appeared about 900 yds from left of C Coy. As soon as it was seen that these were Germans fire was opened on them. The Germans advanced holding up their either one or both hands. This was taken as a sign of surrender & some men left the trench to go towards the Germans, who then closed in rapidly, driving in our men and enfilading the trench. The position of remaining lines now became untenable. Lt Col BOLS and Lt and Adjt PITT remained to the last in the trench in which they had been all day. Col Bols was severely wounded in attempting to get away & Lt Pitt killed. The retirement was skilfully covered by the Reserve Company (A Coy) under Captain W.A.C. Fraser, who in return retired to a position in building about PONT FIXE, and a new line was established from PONT FIXE to factory the line being there continued by 2 Coys 1st DEVONS along PONT FIXE - FESTUBERT Road. Enemy made two attacks on A Coy & DEVON Coys during the night but were repulsed.

Casualties:-

51 Killed

152 Wounded

210 Missing

12-13 OCT

Note O.C. Coys were as follows:-

A. Captain W.A.C. FRASER

B. Captain I.H. KITCHIN

C. Major C. SAUNDERS

D. Captain W.T.C. DAVIDSON

Machine Gun Officer. Captain A.L. RANSOME

B Coy list Capt. Kitchin & 2/Lt Wheeler wounded and Lt Turner and 2/Lt Smith killed.

C Coy list Lt Fraser wounded and missing, Captain Kelsall, Lt Grant-Dalton and Lt Clutterbuck missing.

D Coy list Capt Davidson and Lt Parkinson killed and Capt Rathborne wounded.

Colonel Bols was taken prisoner by the Germans, who told him to wait for the Ambulance. He waited till dusk and then returned to our lines. Command of Battalion devolved upon Major C.Saunders.

Lieut Joe Anthony Francis Parkinson is commemorated on Le Touret Memorial.

Lieut James Maxwell Pitt is buried in Brown's Road Military Cemetery, Festubert (see above).

Richard

I assume you have bio details of these officers, I have them and photos (small) if you're interested

Hambo

Hambo - I have photos + De Ruvigny but not had a chance to look then up in there yet as I am researching a large number of BEF officers from 1914

Would like to know what you have if it comes from another source

Thanks

SPotter

do you have the 1st Dorset war diary for Aug 1914 and any pics?

I can't seem to find much info on the 1st Dorsets on the net

Richard

It comes from the Bond of Sacrifice which attempted to put together bios of all officers killed from the start of the war to June 1915, it's pretty comprehensive so let me know who you're interested in and I'll transcribe them for you

Hambo

Hi - I've just found out about Bond of Sacrifice - this looks just like what I have been looking for - I am researching a large number of KIA officers of the BEF from 1914 (too many to ask you to look up for me) - looks like I will have to get myself a copy of Volume 1.

Richard

SPotter

do you have the 1st Dorset war diary for Aug 1914 and any pics?

I can't seem to find much info on the 1st Dorsets on the net

Simon,

I have the complete War Diary for the 1/Dorsets from Aug 1914 till March 1919. although I haven't finished transcribing it all yet. There doesn't seem to be a great deal on the net, but I have found some very useful contacts on this Forum!

Any help required, just ask.

Steve