Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th batt (fife) Black watch 1917 - 1918

ressmex

The 7th batt Black watch recruited from mainly Fife, but as with many other regt's it had many batt's and are frequently reffered to under the regtl title, So can any one help by telling me about the batt and it's actions in 17 & 18 please.

TOM.

In memory of john mitchell late of this batt who survived to return to the pit's of FIFE

Edited by flagstare

Tom,

If you look on the initial WebSite Page-Army-Black Watch-you will see that the 7th Battalion formed part of the 51st Highland Division.If you click on the HD logo you will find the Division's Battle Honours.

Where did your relative return to?Kirkcaldy,Cowdenbeath,Lochgelly?My Father was a Policeman in Fife in the 1920's so may have bumped into him :rolleyes:

George

Tom,

Try and get hold of a copy of A.G. Wauchope's 'A History of The Black Watch in the Great War, 1914 – 1918, Vol. II'. This deals with the Territorial Bns. and has a Chapt. on the 7th Battalion.

The three vols. were recently republished by the Naval and Military Press.

If you're looking for information on a specific action let me know and I'll see if I can help.

You might find the following verse of some interest.

Who is it man’s the trench?

And sticks it, wet or fine;

Covered with blood or caked in mud?

Seventh Black Watch every time!

Grousing and swearing, but sticking,

“Game” to the call of “Time”,

Still ‘neath the glare of the very flare,

Black Watch, every time!

3032 Pte. A. Macfarlane, The Dunfermline Press, Saturday, 15 July 1916,5.

Best wishes,

Derek

Edited by 9th Black Watch

Tom,

Try and get hold of a copy of A.G. Wauchope's 'A History of The Black Watch in the Great War, 1914 – 1918, Vol. II'. This deals with the Territorial Bns. and has a Chapt. on the 7th Battalion.

The three vols. were recently republished by the Naval and Military Press.

If you're looking for information on a specific action let me know and I'll see if I can help.

You might find the following verse of some interest.

Who is it man’s the trench?

And sticks it, wet or fine;

Covered with blood or caked in mud?

Seventh Black Watch every time!

Grousing and swearing, but sticking,

“Game” to the call of “Time”,

Still ‘neath the glare of the very flare,

Black Watch, every time!

3032 Pte. A. Macfarlane, The Dunfermline Press, Saturday, 15 July 1916,5.

Best wishes,

Derek

thanks derek not entirly certain of the info i'm looking for still searching family info, will look for the book to add to collection.

Tom,

If you look on the initial WebSite Page-Army-Black Watch-you will see that the 7th Battalion formed part of the 51st Highland Division.If you click on the HD logo you will find the Division's Battle Honours.

Where did your relative return to?Kirkcaldy,Cowdenbeath,Lochgelly?My Father was a Policeman in Fife in the 1920's so may have bumped into him :rolleyes:

George

Cheers George I'm still searching through family stuff I will get back to you when Iv'e got my facts spot on, at the moment I am assuming he joined the 7th as came from Cowdenbeath.