Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would appreciate some help!

liverpool annie

Could anybody give some help please with regards to :-

John Rooney, attested in 1898 to the 2nd battalion of The Essex, service number looks like 5031. DOB, 6th November 1871 in Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow, Ireland and he was discharged on 26th July 1912. I realize it's not WW! ...... !

Any ideas on where to go next welcomed - would make a great Christmas present for a friend!!

Thanking you in advance!

Annie :)

Edited by liverpool annie

If he was discharged in 1912 there may be a service record for him at TNA in class WO97. None of this is on-line, so it means a visit. Might be worth checking the Essex Regiment Queen's South Africa roll in WO100 as well.

Hi Annie,

You could contact our Forum co-member Owen4256. He has an extensive database on (in particular)

regular Essex Regiment soldiers.

Cheers,

Michael

Dear Annie

I can confirm that 5031 Pte J Rooney, 2nd Bn Essex R received the QSA with the standard 4 clasps for this battalion (OFS, Tvl, SA01, SA02): it arrived in S Africa in December 1901.

Best wishes for 2006

Ian

Dear Annie

I can confirm that 5031 Pte J Rooney, 2nd Bn Essex R received the QSA with the standard 4 clasps for this battalion (OFS, Tvl, SA01, SA02): it arrived in S Africa in December 1901.

Best wishes for 2006

Ian

Thank you very much Ian!

I appreciate your help!

Happy New Year!

Annie

Annie

Apologies for the delay in replying, have not touched the computer since before Christmas. I don't have much add. He was discharged to pension from the 2nd Bn Essex on 26th July 1912. WO 117/74 ,the Chelsea pension register, shows his enlistment date as 27th January 1891 so he must have had previous service before he joined the Essex in 1898, probably on 18th January - the same day as my great-grandfather who was 5029. I'm afraid I did not note down the previous service details. If you cannot trace his papers in WO 97, the WO 117/74 reference has physical description length and place of overseas service. Despite his 21 years service he did not receive the LSGC medal.

Regards

Clive