Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Wilf Kynaston, an underage volunteer.

Guest C729LEE

Chaps

I am going out of the area that I am well known for - the boring old Linc. R., and trying to piece together a picture of the service of this man, for a work mate.

It would seem, by the 1901 census, that he would be well underage for service when he joined up early to mid WW1.

No.7843 MGC

No.15596 Dorset R

No.648066 Labour C

No.781?338 Tank C

Entitled to a pair BWM/VM and according to the MIC, a GSM & clasp NW Persia.

Is there any reason for the sequence of regimental transfers and would the man have been in the Tank Corps during the NW Persian campaign?

Would it have started during WW1?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Lee in Lincs

Lee

For info, the birth of Wilfred John Kynaston was recorded in the September quarter of 1899, putting his DoB in the July-September period.

Registered in the Wirral, Volume 8a, Page 441

Stephen

The MIC lists his name as Wilfred C Kynaston - the area is quite right and his father was a Lay Preacher.

He would be of age to serve in late 1916/17.

Lee

Hi Lee

Looks like it could be an error on the MIC. The birth register clearlystates "Wilfred John" and the screen shot below from the 1901 census shows "Wilfred J", also showing his father as a Methodist preacher.

post-1356-1135254583.jpg

Edited by Stephen Nulty

Lee,

His Dorset Regt number would indicate an enlistment on or around 20th October 1915, when he would have been 16 years of age - just. It would therefore seem that his first enlistment, into the MGC, would have been at the age of 15.

Regards

Steve

Stephen's X2

Yes, thats the one, I am trying to dig a little on the Arthur Moore Kynaston, too. He served with the Rifle Brigade and later the 10/London Regt.

It has been said in family circles that he was underage, thanks for clearing that one up for us.

It turns out that the family originated in Shropshire - near to Wem, moving to the Wirral area. It just so happens a family on my Mum's line, the Mantle's came from Alveley and villages in the same area. Both ended up in the Scunthorpe district because of the steel industry, which I still work in, though taking different routes to get here.

Wild.

Thanks chaps,

Lee in Lincs :D

Arthur Moore Kynaston's birth was registered in June quarter, 1898.

Their father, Thomas, was born in Cockshutt, Shropshire around 1871.