Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War the Infantry Knew

Hedley Malloch

A bit of trivia ...

Many of have this book on our shelves. Its author, Capt. J.C.Dunn of the RWF (well-known to some of literary figures associated with that unit such as Sassoon), surfaced yesterday when I was doing a bit of reading for another thread. It transpires that J.C. was one of the medical witnesses to the Southborough Committee of Enquiry into Shellshock set up in 1919 to investigate the causes and treatment of shellshock. He was instrumental in persuading the Committee that the main cause of shellshock was the race of the victim, suggesting to the Committee that the soldierly qualities of certain races were suspect, especially the Jews and the Irish. He clearly had little time for Jews stating that 'The Jews were not worth their salt', but had even less for the Irish whom he considered especially prone to shellshock.

Perhaps his war experience affected him mentally as well. Certainly he was showing signs of stress towards the end of the book. IMHO.

Of course, current thinking would hold Dunn's views outlined here as 'incorrect'.

But consider: were these views the result of prejudice, or the exercise of judgement during his period in the front line? The first, although perhaps reprehensible, at least reflected current thinking. The second, we have to allow the man to make his mind up based on the evidence before him.

I have the complete report of the Shellshock Committee and will read it again in the new year.

A bit of trivia ...

Many of have this book on our shelves. Its author, Capt. J.C.Dunn of the RWF (well-known to some of literary figures associated with that unit such as Sassoon), surfaced yesterday when I was doing a bit of reading for another thread. It transpires that J.C. was one of the medical witnesses to the Southborough Committee of Enquiry into Shellshock set up in 1919 to investigate the causes and treatment of shellshock. He was instrumental in persuading the Committee that the main cause of shellshock was the race of the victim, suggesting to the Committee that the soldierly qualities of certain races were suspect, especially the Jews and the Irish. He clearly had little time for Jews stating that 'The Jews were not worth their salt', but had even less for the Irish whom he considered especially prone to shellshock.

A great book, although, as said, he shows increasing signs of stress towards the end of it. I wonder how many Jews he had observed before coming to his conclusion? I hadn't thought they were very plentiful. Anybody prepared to defend his judgement on the Irish?