Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF Documents at TNA

stevehowarth

Having found my subject (2/Lt Shuttleworth) in AIR 76 records at TNA, I am baffled by the following references:

'S M A' Reading 2/3/18 (I can't be totally sure of the SMA bit) - is this something to do with his training? It would fit, as it was soon after he transferred from the Army.

35 Wing 18/5/18 - again I'm not sure what it means.

2/Lt Shuttleworth was killed in a flying accident in Stanford on 16/8/18. Would there be any documents kept at TNA investigating such an incident?

Cheers

SteveH

Having found my subject (2/Lt Shuttleworth) in AIR 76 records at TNA, I am baffled by the following references:

'S M A' Reading 2/3/18 (I can't be totally sure of the SMA bit) - is this something to do with his training? It would fit, as it was soon after he transferred from the Army.

35 Wing 18/5/18 - again I'm not sure what it means.

2/Lt Shuttleworth was killed in a flying accident in Stanford on 16/8/18. Would there be any documents kept at TNA investigating such an incident?

Cheers

SteveH

Hi Steve,

I believe SMA to be the Schgool of Military Aviation at Reading. This was a sort of schoolroom type environment where theory of aerodynamics and such stuff were taught. However I am not certain and whould be happy to have some expert put me right if I've got it wrong

Duncan

• 2 months later...

The RAF Museum holds several of the casualty cards for WW1 officers.