Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification plane type

Cnock

Hello,

This plane was brought in November 1915, in the harbour of Ostend by a German Vorpostenboote (armed trawler).

Does one of the Forum members knows the type of the plane, or the story behind it?

Regards,

Cnock.

post-7723-1135177204.jpg

Aircraft serial 3717 was a Sopwith Schneider of the RNAS.

It had an interesting but short career...

It was delivered to RNAS at Yarmouth 22.07.15 and was used on anti-Zeppelin patrols from 10.08.15.

It was shot down by anti-aircraft fire whilst attacking Zeebrugge Mole on 12.08.15. It managed to force land but sank. The pilot was Flt Sub-Lt J.M.Levy who was taken prisoner.

The machine was salvaged by the Germans (your pic!) and rebuilt. It was flown by them at Zeebrugge. It was later featured in a travelling exhibition of captured Allied aircraft.

Info from 'Royal Navy Aircraft Serials & Units 1911-1919'

Terry,

Thank You very much for the info!

Best regards,

Cnock

• 1 month later...

A very interesting photograph, Gentlemen!

I wonder, Mr. Denham, if there would be any way to guess what the national markings of this machine were? Is it likely it would have been carrying the "red ring" the R.N.A.S. used early in the war?

The only photos I have of these aircraft show either the later red/white/blue roundel or no such marking at all.

One of the photos in 'Sopwith Aircraft 1912-1920' actually shows 3717 on the back of a lorry on its delivery journey. It is wearing no national markings at that time.

I think this photo redefines the term 'short field landing'. Did this pilot go on to invent the Harrier?

Gunner Bailey