Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Letters of Fallen Englishmen

george french

For information, I have a copy of the above book. Edited by Laurence Houseman and published by Gollancz in 1930. I assume that anyone with relatives qoted in it will already be aware but would be pleased to help if i can. There are too many individuals to wrote out unless this is the bst way of helping and there is enough interest.

George

For information, I have a copy of the above book. Edited by Laurence Houseman and published by Gollancz in 1930. I assume that anyone with relatives qoted in it will already be aware but would be pleased to help if i can. There are too many individuals to wrote out unless this is the bst way of helping and there is enough interest.

George

Sounds interesting, George. I wanted to find out more so put the title into amazon book search but there is not much infor to be gleaned there. Could you give a brief description of the contents please?

Robbie

Robbie

Go to abebooks.co.uk I found 21 copies listed prices range from £5 - £75.00

John

Robbie

Go to abebooks.co.uk I found 21 copies listed prices range from £5 - £75.00

John

Indeed I will, thanks John.

Robbie

Hi Robbie, essentially it is what it says on the tin! sorry if thats a it flippant...

about 100 letters or extracts from letters from "Englishmen" which includes anyone who served under the British Flag as the editor puts it.

The letters are often surprisingly detailed about what was going on in a particular sector and descriptive of the emotions of the writer.. most are upbeat and some are very patriotic obviously trying to boost morale of the famies at home and make things sound better than they were.. they seem to cover mostly France and Belgium but I have noticed at least one written on the way to Gallipoli. I haven`t read all of them but, not surprisingly maybe, most are officers..

is there anything you are specifically looking for? I will do a more detaile review for you including a list of the contents if it will be helpfull, but it will take me while...

I am around Reading, are you any where near?

george

Hi Robbie, essentially it is what it says on the tin! sorry if thats a it flippant...

about 100 letters or extracts from letters from "Englishmen" which includes anyone who served under the British Flag as the editor puts it.

The letters are often surprisingly detailed about what was going on in a particular sector and descriptive of the emotions of the writer.. most are upbeat and some are very patriotic obviously trying to boost morale of the famies at home and make things sound better than they were.. they seem to cover mostly France and Belgium but I have noticed at least one written on the way to Gallipoli. I haven`t read all of them but, not surprisingly maybe, most are officers..

is there anything you are specifically looking for? I will do a more detaile review for you including a list of the contents if it will be helpfull, but it will take me while...

I am around Reading, are you any where near?

george

thanks george. Are the "Englishmen" named?

Robbie

Here is an excellent and extensive website on Great War letters from members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force ... Borden Battery

The Canadian Letters and Images Project

This site features a strong selection of personal letters from the Great War. If you are interested in the life and thoughts of the common Other Ranks, this is a site to visit.

http://www.mala.bc.ca/history/letters/